From: Mike S on
Is there any way I can re-install SP3, even though it's already
installed? I am unable to remove it using the control panel, appwiz.cpl,
or c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.

Is there a way I can manually corrupt or remove enough of it, or is
there a registry key I can change, so the installer will not detect that
it is installed and re-install it?

Thanks,
Mike
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What problems are you having that you think uninstalling/reinstalling SP3
might resolve?

What happens when you try to uninstall SP3 via Add/Remove Programs?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

From: Jerry on
Get a copy of AutoStreamer (Google the name). Use it to slipstream yout
original XP CD with the SP3 download which will create an ISO file you use
to burn a new XP w/SP3 CD. Boot from this new CD and opt to do a repair
install. That may fix your problems and you will still have XP w/SP3 as an
operating system.

From: mscir on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> What problems are you having that you think uninstalling/reinstalling
> SP3 might resolve?

The machine takes a lot longer to boot. I want to install SP3 so I can
then uninstall it, so it will boot faster, as it used to before the SP3
install.

> What happens when you try to uninstall SP3 via Add/Remove Programs?

When I click on Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the Control Panel > Add or
Remove Programs there is no "Remove" button.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

I have a working Symantec Anti-Virus program. I have Malwarebytes
Antimalware, CCleaner, and Super-Antispyware, but none of them are
running in real time, and none of htem are loaded at bootup. They only
run when I manually run them to do a scan periodically. I use the
Windows Firewall.

> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> computer?
> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when
> you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

I don't know the answer to either of these, I bought it used.

Thanks,
Mike

From: mscir on
Jerry wrote:
> Get a copy of AutoStreamer (Google the name). Use it to slipstream yout
> original XP CD with the SP3 download which will create an ISO file you use
> to burn a new XP w/SP3 CD. Boot from this new CD and opt to do a repair
> install. That may fix your problems and you will still have XP w/SP3 as an
> operating system.
>
> "Mike S" <mscir(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any way I can re-install SP3, even though it's already installed?
>> I am unable to remove it using the control panel, appwiz.cpl, or
>> c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.
>>
>> Is there a way I can manually corrupt or remove enough of it, or is there
>> a registry key I can change, so the installer will not detect that it is
>> installed and re-install it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

Jerry,

What I want to do is drop back to SP2, if I make a slipstream with SP2
and do a repair install, will it drop me back to SP2 and overwrite or
delete the SP3 files, so Windows will not have any conflicts about what
SP version it has.

Thanks,
Mike