From: C. Kevin Provance on

"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message news:q2d4s5ps1nndasi9bbbj12bp722fjmgt7p(a)4ax.com...
:
: That's a pity. You have likely wasted a lot of time in the past. <g>
:
: For others that may be interested in saving time in resolving Runtime
: errors using a JIT Debugger ...
:
: 1. Start Registry Editor and locate the following Registry subkey in
: the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree:
:
: \SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\AEDEBUG
:
: 2. Select the Debugger value.
: 3. On the Edit menu, click String.
:
: . To use the Windows Debugger, type windbg -p %ld -e %ld.
: . To use Visual C++ 4.2 or earlier, type msvc -p %ld -e %ld.
: . To use Visual C++ 5.0 or later, type msdev.exe -p %ld -e %ld.
: . To use .Nxt 2005 or later, type vsjitdebugger.exe -p %ld -e %ld
: . To use Dr. Watson, type drwtsn32.exe -p %ld -e %ld.
: You can also make Dr. Watson the default debugger by running the
: command: "drwtsn32.exe -i" on Windows XP or lower.
:
: 4. Choose OK and exit Registry Editor.
:
: The new JIT debugger is used the next time you log on.

Holy cow! This is awesome!

Thanks for sharing. :-)
From: Bee on
Thank you!
I have never seen such before.
Excellent response!
I am running XP and did the RUN drwtsn32.exe -i and it said it was loaded as
my default.
Now I need to figure out how to run Dr. Watson.
Is there a succinct tutorial?
Old brain cells are struggling.

From: Bee on
While looking for a Dr. Watson tutorial I found this

RegistryEasy
http://pc.errorsfix.org/windows.php?seed=dr-watson

Is this for real or what?

From: ralph on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:58:01 -0700, Bee
<Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>While looking for a Dr. Watson tutorial I found this
>
> RegistryEasy
>http://pc.errorsfix.org/windows.php?seed=dr-watson
>
>Is this for real or what?

Not really, in that the language at that site is rather extreme, to
put it mildly. To paraphrase Freud - sometimes an error is just an
error. <g>

Anytime an 'unhandled exception' is passed to the O/S, if there is a
JIT installed the O/S will launch the JIT Debugger and pass the error
on to it by attaching an int 3 to the running program instructions. (A
tad more complex, but not much.) Some components will also include a
Int 3 in its 'error handling'. If a debugger is installed it will be
caught if not then normal O/S reporting happens.

You can do the same with your own programs by using DebugBreak():
http://vb.mvps.org/hardcore/html/examiningcode.htm
(a tad dated but still useful)

Private Declare Sub DebugBreak Lib "kernel32" Alias "DebugBreak" ()

MikeD had a point in that Dr. Watson is the weaker tool, all it does
is provide a snapshot - the last dozen or so instructions, the stack,
and perhaps a dump. This is usually enough to get you looking in the
right direction, but you often need additional tools for anything
beyond the obvious.

What is nice about JIT Debugging is you can just set it, then forget
it. It just waits for the unexpected.

-ralph