From: Chris Rebert on
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Dylan Gleason <crazy808s(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Dylan. I am new to this list and am just getting started with
> Python and programming in general (although I have some experience with
> general UNIX wankery).
> I am trying to fire up Python ver. 2.7 with IDLE (I am using Mac OSX
> 10.6.3), but it will not start, citing the following error message:
> I tried disabling my firewall and restarting but unfortunately I still get
> the same message.
> I executed Python via the command line and it seemed to work just fine. Can
> someone help me??

How are you starting IDLE (i.e. what icon are you clicking or what
command are you running)?
How did you install Python (e.g. Fink, MacPorts, Python.org installer, etc.)?

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: Chris Rebert on

From: Ned Deily on
In article <550552.57286.qm(a)web56208.mail.re3.yahoo.com>,
Dylan Gleason <crazy808s(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am trying to fire up Python ver. 2.7 with IDLE (I am using Mac OSX 10.6.3),
> but it will not start, citing the following error message:

> I tried disabling my firewall and restarting but unfortunately I still get
> the
> same message.
>
> I executed Python via the command line and it seemed to work just fine. Can
> someone help me??

If you downloaded the python.org 2.7 installer for OS X 10.5 or later,
you are probably running into the problems documented here:
http://bugs.python.org/issue9227

As a workaround, try downloading and installing the 32-bit Mac Installer
for 2.7. The IDLE that it installs *should* work OK on 10.6.

http://python.org/download/releases/2.7/

--
Ned Deily,
nad(a)acm.org