From: glasskuter on
I am about to go out of my mind dealing with IE. I am constantly getting "IE
has encountered a problem & needs to close". Then the browser will reopen and
sometimes the webpage I was on will be repopulated & sometimes it will have
timed out. When I look at the content of the error it says the following-Mod
name sharedobj:dll offset 00008691 iexplorer.exe appver:8.0.6001.18702.I have
sent the error to Microsoft at least a 100 times. This is about to drive me
nuts as it is continuously happening. I have tried to research this error
through Google but haven't found anything that might help me. I hope someone
can help me keep my sanity. Thank you.
From: Paul on
glasskuter wrote:
> I am about to go out of my mind dealing with IE. I am constantly getting "IE
> has encountered a problem & needs to close". Then the browser will reopen and
> sometimes the webpage I was on will be repopulated & sometimes it will have
> timed out. When I look at the content of the error it says the following-Mod
> name sharedobj:dll offset 00008691 iexplorer.exe appver:8.0.6001.18702.I have
> sent the error to Microsoft at least a 100 times. This is about to drive me
> nuts as it is continuously happening. I have tried to research this error
> through Google but haven't found anything that might help me. I hope someone
> can help me keep my sanity. Thank you.

What I find curious about a module name of sharedobj.dll, is it isn't showing
up to any great extent in a search. I don't have one on my C: drive.

What that usually means, is it is malware.

Start by searching your drives, and see what directories or installers it
shows up in. That may give a hint as to what it belongs to, or where it
came from.

And just to double check - the name is "sharedobj.dll" ? That is nine letters
for a module name, rather than eight letters. So it doesn't conform to 8.3 .
I want to make sure the name is exactly correct, with a period between
the first part and the file extension.

Paul
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In your newsreader:

NB: State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) in your first post.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com