From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
>>> Class names have a general purpose role in HTML; I find it pretty hard
>>> to think of a use case that isn�t covered by that.
>>
>> People are using class names for things they weren't meant to be used
>> for. Ironically people are trying to shoehorn semantic meaning into
>> HTML where it was already available in XHTML (go figure)
>
> The HTML class attribute is not meant to be limited for any particular
> task. What is`class` being used for that it was not meant for?

Asked and answered. See my other post.
From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
>>> People are using class names for things they weren't meant to be used
>>> for. Ironically people are trying to shoehorn semantic meaning into
>>> HTML where it was already available in XHTML (go figure)
>> The HTML class attribute is not meant to be limited for any particular
>> task. What is`class` being used for that it was not meant for?
>
> Asked and answered. See my other post.
Any answer coming from someone who exhibits such a strong aversion to
reading specifications as you do is worthless.
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 07:19:24 -0700 (PDT), Michael Haufe ("TNO")
> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 27, 7:18 am, Hans-Georg Michna <hans-
>> georgNoEmailPle...(a)michna.com> wrote:
>
>>> How about performance? Can you afford to ignore querySelectAll,
>>> if it is there, and use much slower JavaScript code?
>
>> What browser do you know of that has QSA that also has "slow"
>> JavaScript in comparison?
>>
>> If the API is inconsistent across implementations then yes, and guess
>> what, they are for complex queries. If you avoid complex queries then
>> you aren't gaining much of an advantage using QSA over the other APIs
>> already available.
>
> I see your point.
>
> That leaves the question, why are the browser makers
> implementing something that nobody should use? (:-)

In this case, the browser vendors are implementing a W3C Candidate
Recommendation, "Selectors API Level 1".

The value in such API is that it provides a fast, native code
alternative to hand-rolled query selector, providing an API. It is
simpler than filtering the results from getElementsByTagName.
--
Garrett
From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> The HTML class attribute is not meant to be limited for any particular
>>> task. What is`class` being used for that it was not meant for?
>>
>> Asked and answered. See my other post.
> Any answer coming from someone who exhibits such a strong aversion to
> reading specifications as you do is worthless.

You are clinging to that nonsense, aren't you? As I have said, reading
specifications can only get you so far (and you are a prime example). I
suppose in your simple-minded perception, that equates to a proposal to
not read specifications at all. :)
From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Asked and answered. See my other post.
>> Any answer coming from someone who exhibits such a strong aversion to
>> reading specifications as you do is worthless.
>
> You are clinging to that nonsense, aren't you? As I have said, reading
> specifications can only get you so far (and you are a prime example). I
> suppose in your simple-minded perception, that equates to a proposal to
> not read specifications at all. :)

Never have I avocated not reading the specifications; quite the opposite.

For questions regarding the HTML `class` attribute, the pertinent
specification is HTML 4.01.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.5.2

| 7.5.2 Element identifiers: the id and class attributes
|
| The class attribute, on the other hand, assigns one or more class
| names to an element; the element may be said to belong to these
| classes. A class name may be shared by several element instances. The
| class attribute has several roles in HTML:
|
| * As a style sheet selector (when an author wishes to assign style
| information to a set of elements).
| * For general purpose processing by user agents.

The section liberally states "the element may be said to belong to these
classes".

Not only does HTML 4 explicitly allow class to be used for reasons other
than CSS, it is actually used for such ulterior purposes. Microformats,
for example, utilize class attribute in HTML.

I posted my reply to both comp.lang.javascript (original) and to the
more relevant NG: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.
--
Garrett