From: Michael Kincaid on
FWIW, we're seeing exactly this error too. Not only that, but when one of
these events occurs, it seems that MAPI/RPC request threads lock up too, and
so all clients including Outlook are also non-responsive for anywhere from 5
to 60 seconds while the condition resolves itself.

It seems to be caused by a large volume of IMAP requests in parallel. We've
found it easier to reproduce with Apple's Mail.app, which seems to retrieve
message lists, download attachments, etc in a highly multithreaded fashion,
than with OE or Vista Mail. Stress cases like opening 100 messages at once
while refreshing 10 folders in the same mailbox will generally produce the
problem.

I have a PSS case open, and I'll post anything back here that we discover,
but I wonder if anyone else has seen this and might have any pointers?

--Michael

From: wcodyanderson on
Same issue here - multiple Mac clients using Mail.app, periodic hangs
on Exchange server that seem to resolve themselves. It also affects
PC (Outlook) users to the extent that the CPU is getting eaten.

Any word from Microsoft PSS?

Best,
Cody

From: Rene Frenger on
It could be the anti-virus.
The Anti-virus for Exchange can be switched off with this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan
Enabled (REG_DWORD) put to 0.
The server doesn 't have to be restarted.

--

Regards,

Rene Frenger