From: Alain Dekker on
Which is the best VB newsgroup for VB.NET (.NET v1.1 in VS 2003.NET)?

I'm looking for a way to do some simple serialisation of settings, possibly
using a simple INI file in the application directory. Does .NET support this
or should I use the registry? I like the idea of the INI file because its so
simple. Can anyone point me at the class to use or perhaops an example on
the web.

I'm an experienced C++ and Delphi developer, but am fairly new to VB and
also fairly new to .NET.

Many thanks,
Alain

From: mayayana on

> Which is the best VB newsgroup for VB.NET (.NET v1.1 in VS 2003.NET)?

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

If it doesn't have "dotnet" or "vsnet" in the name
then it's not a VB.Net group. This is a VB group
(mainly VB5/6) which is entirely different.

From: Alain Dekker on
Thanks

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Alain,

Be aware that what Mayayana write is probably one of the best newsgroup for
your problem.

However, be also aware that .Net v1.1 (VB7.1) is probably much less used at
the moment then VB6.

Therefore the answers will be for versions 2008 (VB9) which has newer
serialization methods.

(Ini is in those versions not anymore used it is mostly replaced by XML)

Cor

From: Alain Dekker on
Thanks. I've started coding in VB.NET (1.1) and its actually very different
to VB6, which was an excellent language. Not a step forward in my view. I
know that MS have advanced XML and the registry as the preferred
serialisation technique(s) in .NET, but I do note that INI files refuse to
die and with good reason - they are simple to use and easy to understand. In
fact, I'm a little puzzled why MS want us to use XML over INI files.

This article gives a fully functional (I've tested it and it works well)
method of using INI files in VB.NET:

http://www.developer.com/article.php/3287991

Thanks again,
Alain