From: Mike Jones on

How do I set up a stateful filter for a client machine?

ATM I can restrict things to the local network, but as traffic is all
local network to the client until the router box masqerades it, the
client can still reach through the router box and out to the web, and the
reverse is true also.

I'm looking for a method for the /client/ to be able to temporarily
restrict it's own traffic just to the router box and no further, via
IPtables.

Example:

(Where CNET="192.168.0.0-255")

$IPT -A INPUT -i $NIC_LAN \
-m iprange --src-range $CNET \
-p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \
-m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A OUTPUT -o $NIC_LAN \
-m iprange --dst-range $CNET \
-p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \
-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

....still does internet via the router forwarding. Bah!

Clues?

XP alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.os.linux
FU alt.os.linux

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

Mike Jones a �crit :
> How do I set up a stateful filter for a client machine?
>
> ATM I can restrict things to the local network, but as traffic is all
> local network to the client until the router box masqerades it, the
> client can still reach through the router box and out to the web, and the
> reverse is true also.
>
> I'm looking for a method for the /client/ to be able to temporarily
> restrict it's own traffic just to the router box and no further, via
> IPtables.
>
> Example:
>
> (Where CNET="192.168.0.0-255")
>
> $IPT -A INPUT -i $NIC_LAN \
> -m iprange --src-range $CNET \

If the IP range is a prefix, you can simply use -s/d $RANGE :
-s 192.168.0.0/24

> -p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \

What is $PORTS_LAN ?

> -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> $IPT -A OUTPUT -o $NIC_LAN \
> -m iprange --dst-range $CNET \
> -p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \
> -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> ...still does internet via the router forwarding. Bah!
>
> Clues?

Is this the complete ruleset or are there other rules ?
What are the default policies ?
From: WildWizard on
On 15/06/10 02:14, Mike Jones wrote:

> How do I set up a stateful filter for a client machine?
>
> ATM I can restrict things to the local network, but as traffic is all
> local network to the client until the router box masqerades it, the
> client can still reach through the router box and out to the web, and the
> reverse is true also.
>
> I'm looking for a method for the /client/ to be able to temporarily
> restrict it's own traffic just to the router box and no further, via
> IPtables.
>

> Example:
>
> (Where CNET="192.168.0.0-255")
>
> $IPT -A INPUT -i $NIC_LAN \
> -m iprange --src-range $CNET \
> -p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \
> -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> $IPT -A OUTPUT -o $NIC_LAN \
> -m iprange --dst-range $CNET \
> -p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \
> -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> ...still does internet via the router forwarding. Bah!
>
> Clues?

Does this include a policy to drop packets that don't match those rules?
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Pascal Hambourg:

> Hello,
>
> Mike Jones a écrit :
>> How do I set up a stateful filter for a client machine?
>>
>> ATM I can restrict things to the local network, but as traffic is all
>> local network to the client until the router box masqerades it, the
>> client can still reach through the router box and out to the web, and
>> the reverse is true also.
>>
>> I'm looking for a method for the /client/ to be able to temporarily
>> restrict it's own traffic just to the router box and no further, via
>> IPtables.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> (Where CNET="192.168.0.0-255")
>>
>> $IPT -A INPUT -i $NIC_LAN \
>> -m iprange --src-range $CNET \
>
> If the IP range is a prefix, you can simply use -s/d $RANGE : -s
> 192.168.0.0/24
>
>> -p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \
>
> What is $PORTS_LAN ?
>
>> -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT $IPT -A OUTPUT -o
>> $NIC_LAN \
>> -m iprange --dst-range $CNET \
>> -p tcp -m multiport --ports $PORTS_LAN \ -m state --state
>> NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>>
>> ...still does internet via the router forwarding. Bah!
>>
>> Clues?
>
> Is this the complete ruleset or are there other rules ? What are the
> default policies ?

Oops! Posted in a rush.

I'll do this better tommorrow, after some sleep. %)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on