From: kell on
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2153.pdf
I tried to use the IR2153 to run a half bridge using two n-channel
mosfets as in the circuit diagram on the first page of the data sheet,
and it didn't work.
I discovered that HO only sinks, it does not source.
LO works; it sources and sinks, and the cap for Vb does take a charge.
I found this out by slowing the timing down to about one hertz and
using grain-of-wheat lamps to see what the outuputs were doing.
Same thing happened with both chips that I tried.
Has anyone used the IR2153, and what do you have to do to get the high
side drive to work?

From: cbarn24050 on

kell wrote:
> http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2153.pdf
> I tried to use the IR2153 to run a half bridge using two n-channel
> mosfets as in the circuit diagram on the first page of the data sheet,
> and it didn't work.
> I discovered that HO only sinks, it does not source.
> LO works; it sources and sinks, and the cap for Vb does take a charge.
> I found this out by slowing the timing down to about one hertz and
> using grain-of-wheat lamps to see what the outuputs were doing.
> Same thing happened with both chips that I tried.
> Has anyone used the IR2153, and what do you have to do to get the high
> side drive to work?

Its not going to work at 1 Hz. You need a high speed diode in the
circiut a !N4001 wont do.

From: Winfield Hill on
cbarn24050(a)aol.com wrote...

> kell wrote:
>> http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2153.pdf
>> I tried to use the IR2153 to run a half bridge using two n-channel
>> mosfets as in the circuit diagram on the first page of the data sheet,
>> and it didn't work.
>> I discovered that HO only sinks, it does not source.
>> LO works; it sources and sinks, and the cap for Vb does take a charge.
>> I found this out by slowing the timing down to about one hertz and
>> using grain-of-wheat lamps to see what the outuputs were doing.
>> Same thing happened with both chips that I tried.
>> Has anyone used the IR2153, and what do you have to do to get the
>> high side drive to work?
>
> Its not going to work at 1 Hz. You need a high speed diode in the
> circiut a !N4001 wont do.

It works fine at 1Hz, or at DC, if a separate floating power supply
is created for the HI-side driver section. A few years ago I posted
the schematic of a high-speed 250V 50-ohm pulse generator using this
approach with an IR2113, a chip with similar MOSFET drivers.

--
Thanks,
- Win
From: John - kd5yi on

"kell" <kellrobinson(a)billburg.com> wrote in message
> http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2153.pdf
> I tried to use the IR2153 to run a half bridge using two n-channel
> mosfets as in the circuit diagram on the first page of the data sheet,
> and it didn't work.
> I discovered that HO only sinks, it does not source.
> LO works; it sources and sinks, and the cap for Vb does take a charge.
> I found this out by slowing the timing down to about one hertz and
> using grain-of-wheat lamps to see what the outuputs were doing.
> Same thing happened with both chips that I tried.
> Has anyone used the IR2153, and what do you have to do to get the high
> side drive to work?

According to the diagrams on page 6, both outputs are source/sink.
Something else is wrong.

Good luck.

John

From: Jon on
Kell,
A couple of things to check:
~
Are you matching the recommended values of Rt, Ct to your switching
frequency? Also the Voltage on the cap for Vb must be higher than Vs,
by an amount equal to or greater than gate threshold voltage of the FET
you are using.
Regards,
Jon

 |  Next  |  Last