From: Smirnoff on
Thought it might be worth starting a new thread for this.

I must admit that references to NNTP bridges to access NG's after Microsoft
closes its Usenet server confused me.

Alternative newsreaders such as eternal-september have been mentioned.

In the thread "When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?" (I think
it's the MS server that's going to die, not the NG), Eddie makes the point
that ISPs also provide newsgroup access.

My understanding is that the newsgroup names will remain unchanged although
they will not be able to be accessed by the MS News Server, is this correct?

If so, would it not be better to advise people to check their ISP newsgroups
first (if they are using, say, Windows Live Mail as a client) before setting
up bridges etc?

BT currently lists all the Microsoft NGs I am currently subscribed to:

microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
microsoft.public.windowsupdate
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

In my reply to Eddie, I ask "How long will BT keep them though" and "Will
people gradually stop posting to them and use the forums?".

Will the closure of the MS News Server affect access to MS newsgroups listed
in BT via WLM?

From: Daave on
Smirnoff wrote:

> My understanding is that the newsgroup names will remain unchanged
> although they will not be able to be accessed by the MS News Server,
> is this correct?

Yes.

> If so, would it not be better to advise people to check their ISP
> newsgroups first (if they are using, say, Windows Live Mail as a
> client) before setting up bridges etc?

Only if they want to access those specific *newsgroups*. The bridge is
intended for *other* "groups." For instance, there is no official
Microsoft-sanctioned newsgroup for Windows 7. There is, however, a Web
forum for it, and one can use a bridge to access it through a news
client.

If people don't mind trolls, they can access the oft-maligned
alt.window7.general newsgroup via Usenet.

> BT currently lists all the Microsoft NGs I am currently subscribed to:
>
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
> microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
> microsoft.public.windowsupdate
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>
> In my reply to Eddie, I ask "How long will BT keep them though"

My crystall ball is in the shop. :-)

> and
> "Will people gradually stop posting to them and use the forums?".

Undoubtedly. To what extent, who knows?

> Will the closure of the MS News Server affect access to MS newsgroups
> listed in BT via WLM?

Not at first. It is up to BT how long they wish to include those
specific Microsoft-hierarchy newsgroups in their lineup.

From: Smirnoff on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Smirnoff wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that the newsgroup names will remain unchanged
>> although they will not be able to be accessed by the MS News Server,
>> is this correct?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so, would it not be better to advise people to check their ISP
>> newsgroups first (if they are using, say, Windows Live Mail as a
>> client) before setting up bridges etc?
>
> Only if they want to access those specific *newsgroups*. The bridge is
> intended for *other* "groups." For instance, there is no official
> Microsoft-sanctioned newsgroup for Windows 7. There is, however, a Web
> forum for it, and one can use a bridge to access it through a news client.
>
> If people don't mind trolls, they can access the oft-maligned
> alt.window7.general newsgroup via Usenet.
>
>> BT currently lists all the Microsoft NGs I am currently subscribed to:
>>
>> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>> microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
>> microsoft.public.windowsupdate
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>>
>> In my reply to Eddie, I ask "How long will BT keep them though"
>
> My crystall ball is in the shop. :-)
>
>> and
>> "Will people gradually stop posting to them and use the forums?".
>
> Undoubtedly. To what extent, who knows?
>
>> Will the closure of the MS News Server affect access to MS newsgroups
>> listed in BT via WLM?
>
> Not at first. It is up to BT how long they wish to include those specific
> Microsoft-hierarchy newsgroups in their lineup.

I see, thanks.

As I have no need to access a Windows 7 specific NG at the moment, I will
plod on for a while using the old NGs via my ISP server.

Seems I will eventually have to change to Forums as they become the "Norm".