From: John Corliss on
T0M wrote:
> Windows Seven lackes a simple way to personalize icons files.
> Any good freeware recommandation I can use to change a lot of default
> files icons to personaliza my OS like I had on my XP ?
>
> Thank you in advance,

You might look at Greenfish Icon Editor Pro:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/gficoneditor.html

It's described there as being able to "create Vista compatible and 32
bit icons up to 256x256 with the help of a variety of drawing and
selection tools".

I use this program. It's the best freeware icon editor going IMO, and
I've tried them all.

Oh yeah, this *might* be the home page for the program:

http://greenfish.xtreemhost.com/index.php

but I really don't know for sure. Their home page used to be elsewhere,
but the old link is dead.

--
John Corliss BS206. Because of all the Googlespam, I block all posts
sent through Google Groups. I also block as many posts from anonymous

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.
From: T0M on
John Corliss a �crit:

>>You might look at Greenfish Icon Editor Pro:
>
>>I use this program. It's the best freeware icon editor going IMO, and
>>I've tried them all.

Thank you very much John for this proposal but i think it's not the kind
of program I'm looking for.
I'm not looking for a icon editor but a "simple" icon tweaker which can
easly help me to change under Windows Seven, for exemple, the default
PDF icon file, the .Doc file, etc. by others one.
With XP, there is the option under the menu where you'll can choose the
default software to open a specific file but now, with Seven there is no
more this option.

Hope I'm a little more clear about what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,

T0M
From: RoseW on
On 7/30/2010 1:44 PM, T0M wrote:
> John Corliss a �crit:
>
>>> You might look at Greenfish Icon Editor Pro:
>>
>>> I use this program. It's the best freeware icon editor going IMO, and
>>> I've tried them all.
>
> Thank you very much John for this proposal but i think it's not the kind
> of program I'm looking for.
> I'm not looking for a icon editor but a "simple" icon tweaker which can
> easly help me to change under Windows Seven, for exemple, the default
> PDF icon file, the .Doc file, etc. by others one.
> With XP, there is the option under the menu where you'll can choose the
> default software to open a specific file but now, with Seven there is no
> more this option.
>
> Hope I'm a little more clear about what I'm looking for.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> T0M

When you right click on the existing shortcut and use the submenu
"PROPERTIES" there is a 'change icon' button at the bottom
The default file that comes up in the browse bar is the Windows Shell 32
folder. If you have special icons that you acquired they must be stored
in a particular folder so you would BROWSE to that folder.
There were a couple of folders in Xp Windows System folder that held
other icons but I haven't found similar folders in Win7.
I think any icon of a .png type can be used. (At least that is the case
on the desktop 'docks' I put a png icon from the Rocketdock into the
Objectdock desktop bar)

Rose
From: T0M on
RoseW a �crit:

>>When you right click on the existing shortcut and use the submenu
>>"PROPERTIES" there is a 'change icon' button at the bottom

You're right Rose but it's only working with shortcut.
For exemple, if you right click on a PDF file (a "true one" not a
shorcut to it), you can't change the default icon and if the software
you use to open this kind of file hasn't an option to do that, you'll
stick with sometimes ugly icon :P

With windows XP, there was a dedicated menu where you'll be able to
choose what kind of program to open a specific file. In this menu, it
was also possible to change icon. This menu has been deleted in Windows
Seven.
Anyway there is a lot of freewares for XP that may help one to do that.
I personnaly used Icontweaker which may tweack both system and file icon
under XP, don't know anyone for Windows Seven, which is I'm looking for
that.

Thanks for your help Rose.

T0M