From: David Mark on
On Nov 9, 11:38 pm, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> >> [...]
> [...]
> >> What are you talking about? Prototype always used Lasse's clone/inherit
> >> -like approach.
>
> > As to this loop, perhaps I am thinking of another library (or more
> > than one likely).  But ISTM "extend" was part of Prototype's
> > implementation of classical inheritance for JS, which - next to
> > extending the Object prototype - was the biggest complaint about the
> > design of that library.  Of course the implementation was always so
> > bad (e.g. browser sniffing) that it didn't merit much discussion.
>
> `Object.extend` (i.e. simple copying of properties from one object to
> another) has been in Prototype since its inception and was mainly a
> plain general purpose helper.

More of a hindrance it would seem. :)

> The only way it was used in inheritance abstraction is to copy
> properties onto constructor's prototype (so you would pass an object
> into a helper rather than assign methods to constructor's prototype
> manually).

Okay. So it is used to mix-in properties.

> Until recently, there was this idiotic sniff for `Browser.IE` when
> working around DontEnum bug in `Object.extend`, but that's because none
> of us seemed to know what it was (workaround was only taking care of
> "toString" and "valueOf", and in a rather inefficient manner).

Hopefully you replaced that with a feature test (and added the other
affected properties). But think of all of the Prototype-based sites
out there. They will have to upgrade the whole thing with all of the
other changes made to that project included and then start QA testing
from ground zero.

> Actual inheritance, though, has always been done via Lasse clone/inherit
> -like approach.

Okay. It's something about the construction of objects that was out
of line in that library.

> [...]
> >> Are you sure? I thought this is for filtering out element nodes (from
> >> comment, text, etc.).
>
> > No, I'm not sure.  The name and comment seem to indicate a GP
> > function.  But if so, it seems completely unneeded (all it does is
> > check if nodeType == 1).  Certainly no good for GP usage.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty simplistic.

> >> It's good enough 99% of the time. Everything else can be considered
> >> exception (e.g. cross-window object wrappers in IE).
>
> > That's as maybe.  It's never needed.
>
> I'm not a big fan of duck typing, but sure, that's another way :)

My point is that you can design your app so that it doesn't need to
tell an Array object from an Object object. Duck typing would be a
fallback for the "Miller Device" that could make an isArray (or
isWhatever) a bit closer to 100% reliable, but why bother?

> >> Nope. Did you forget what typeof reports for regex objects in webkit?
>
> > Of course not.  Second sentence in the documentation for such a
> > function (after host object warning) should be "Do not use with RegExp
> > objects".  It stands to reason that a design that sets out to discern
> > between Function and RegExp objects is a design in need of a rewrite.
>
> But it's not even about discerning. What if regex ends up as an argument
> of your function and that function invokes `call` on it after testing it
> with `typeof`? regex don't have call (unless you give it to them) so it
> will fail.

As it should. If the documentation stipulates No RegExp objects are
to be passed to this function, then the behavior with a RegExp
argument is undefined. It should be expected to fail when passed a
RegExp.

And, though irrelevant, I disagree that the RegExp in question is not
callable. Unless you mean calling its - call - method?

> Too many limitations and exceptions is also annoying. What "too many"
> means is of course subjective, and what's annoying to me might be fine
> to you.

An API should not enable bad design decisions. If you look at the
fact that most of the "majors" struggled with awful versions of these
is* "overloading" helpers. Wouldn't it have saved a lot of time to
determine they are a bad idea from the start?

> I don't see much harm in employing [[Class]] based test, though.

At the very least, the limitations should be documented. Advice to
avoid the function would make sense too, but I know that wouldn't be
cool.

> > And none of these "overloading" functions are conducive to good design
> > anyway.  If you consider a case that is do-able (e.g. string vs.
> > function), it boils down to the typeof operator.  So why wrap that in
> > a function?
>
> To abstract and provide a common interface. What else could be the reason..

I wasn't looking for an answer, just remarking that such an operation
is better left inline.

> >> How so?
>
> > Same reason you don't need an isFunction.  Just use the typeof
> > operator and document accordingly.
>
> >> Don't forget, operators are not first class objects in Javascript ;)
>
> >> [...]
> >> Yes, that's usually unnecessary. Makes things needlessly slow.
>
> > Besides that, what sort of design throws in the middle of a loop?  And
> > who throws strings?
>
> I suppose they throw to stop iteration (as Prototype does).

> Whether they
> throw string or something else doesn't seem to make much difference.

Seems like quite a difference to me.

> Prototype realized that being able to stop iteration is not worth
> performance hit of wrapping it with try-catch.

That's good.

> Maybe one day these guys will come to the same conclusion :)

The question is whether anyone will care. Waiting on "those guys" to
learn browser scripting has been the mantra for years. Look what a
mess that has made.

> [...]
> >> It's a clone of Prototype, stuffed into one object, instead of
> >> augmenting built-ins.
>
> > I see MooTools as more of a clone of Prototype.  This is just an
> > abbreviated mishmash.  BTW, are you still working on that thing?
>
> Rarely.

That's just a step away from never. :)

> Last couple of months I've been working on ECMAScript compliance test
> suite that can be run a browser. It's actually just a wrapper around
> Google's Sputniktests (thanks to Google for doing all the heavy work),
> adopted for running in a web page.
>
> Hopefully, this will eliminate most of the chaos in current
> implementations and prevent regresssions in future work.

One can only hope.

> Check it out —http://thinkweb2.com/projects/prototype/sputniktests-web-runner/

I will when I get a chance.

> How is your dojo work going?

Great, but now I'm too busy working on Dojo applications to work on
the project. I'll get back to it eventually. For now, I work around
the problems as that is where the money is. ;)
From: Richard Cornford on
On Nov 9, 9:07 pm, Peter Michaux wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2:41 pm, Asen Bozhilov wrote:

<snip>
>> The concern of the topic is identifiers name. What is the
>> benefit from identifier like:
>> _
>> $
>
> I think the benefit is they are short. Too short and cryptic,
> I think.

Yes, short and cryptic (or at least under-descriptive) names don't
contribute much to script authoring efforts as the little time they
may save in typing in code is almost certainly negated by orders of
magnitude of more time squandered during debugging/maintenance.

And then there is the hugely increased chance of naming collisions
which leaves the authors of, for example, JQurey code wrapping
everything they write in structures like:-

(function ($){
// actual code using $( ... )
})(JQurey);

- in order that "other code" that defines its own - $ - functions/
objects is not be impacted by Query's use of that identifier. If you
wanted something to flag a bad idea, finding yourself jumping through
hoops as a consequence (and in order to carry on doing it) is probably
as good an indicator as any. Still, some mistakes are difficult to
back out off, even when recognised.

>> I associated underscore with properties whos been "private".
>> So i don't make documentation for properties who identifier
>> name start with underscore.
>> $ symbol in normal live i associated with USA dollar. In Ecma3:
>
>> | 7.6 Identifiers
>> | This standard specifies one departure from the grammar given
>> | in the Unicode standard: The dollar sign ($) and the
>> | underscore (_) are permitted anywhere in an identifier. The
>> | dollar sign is intended for use only in mechanically
>> | generated code.
>
>> So using $ for identifier name from programmers will be means
>> contradiction with ECMA3 documentation.
>
> The use of $ in an indentifier doesn't contradict ECMAScript 3
> because $ was "intended for" not "reserved for". This issue has
> been discussed in c.l.js many times. I believe this statement
> is gone from the proposed ECMAScript 5 and if so I think it is
> good they removed it.

The pragmatic recognition that the horse has long since bolted does
not imply approval of the actions of whoever let it out, or their
consequences.

Richard.
From: Tim Down on
On Nov 9, 10:34 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>     if (atype !== 'object') return false;
>
> Strict comparison is unneeded here.

I'm sure you've answered this before, but what is your beef with using
strict comparison operators when they're not needed? the only argument
I can see against it is the use of one extra character.

> And none of these "overloading" functions are conducive to good design
> anyway. If you consider a case that is do-able (e.g. string vs.
> function), it boils down to the typeof operator. So why wrap that in
> a function?

The benefit of using isWhatever functions for the doable cases is that
you remove the possibility of introducing bugs by mistyping the
comparison string ("function", "string", etc.) that exists if using
inline typeof comparisons.

Tim
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Tim Down wrote:

> On Nov 9, 10:34 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> if (atype !== 'object') return false;
>>
>> Strict comparison is unneeded here.
>
> I'm sure you've answered this before, but what is your beef with using
> strict comparison operators when they're not needed? the only argument
> I can see against it is the use of one extra character.

The latest test results for the local ECMAScript Support Matrix (checked in
yesterday) support that assessment. Transposed:

Feature: !==
Title: Strict Equals operator
JavaScript: 1.3
JScript: 5.1.5010
ECMAScript: 3
JSCore: 525.19
Opera: 5.02
KJS: 3.5.9

Corrections for earlier versions of the implementations are welcome.

>> And none of these "overloading" functions are conducive to good design
>> anyway. If you consider a case that is do-able (e.g. string vs.
>> function), it boils down to the typeof operator. So why wrap that in
>> a function?
>
> The benefit of using isWhatever functions for the doable cases is that
> you remove the possibility of introducing bugs by mistyping the
> comparison string ("function", "string", etc.) that exists if using
> inline typeof comparisons.

In a runtime environment with host-defined properties you cannot pass a
value if you do not know whether the identifier you are using a) resolves to
a property and b) if so, if that property stores a value that is suitable
for being passed. (That is why isMethod() primarily uses property names
now.)

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on