From: Uriah on
I have a Infrared LED transmitter and receiver that is part of a
redemption game and I need to get some new ones. The distributor wants
$100.00 for a pair of them. Of course the distributor or the
manufacture won't tell me anything about them and there are no docs or
specs or anything to help me in trying to find them from Mouser or
Digi-key. Is there an easy way to figure out what they are so that I
can pick them up for probably under $5.00 from anyone but the
distributor? I am hoping for some cheap test gear that tells you the
wave length and what ever else I need to know.
Thanks
Russ
From: larwe on
On Dec 9, 3:29 am, Uriah <uriah...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Infrared LED transmitter and receiver that is part of a
> redemption game and I need to get some new ones. The distributor wants

There is no easy way to measure the wavelength without special
equipment. You can measure the carrier frequency for the protocol
using an oscilloscope, which will at least let you choose a receiver/
transmitter pair that will work together.
From: amdx on

"Uriah" <uriahsky(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Infrared LED transmitter and receiver that is part of a
> redemption game and I need to get some new ones. The distributor wants
> $100.00 for a pair of them. Of course the distributor or the
> manufacture won't tell me anything about them and there are no docs or
> specs or anything to help me in trying to find them from Mouser or
> Digi-key. Is there an easy way to figure out what they are so that I
> can pick them up for probably under $5.00 from anyone but the
> distributor? I am hoping for some cheap test gear that tells you the
> wave length and what ever else I need to know.
> Thanks
> Russ
I had an ice machine that used an Infrared LED transmitter and receiver.
When
the leads corrodide off of one of them, I found it cost $105 plus shipping
get the new assembly. I went to Radio Shack and bought their infrared
transmitter
and receiver pair, and installed them. It worked fine.
What is a redemtion game and how is the Infrared LED transmitter and
receiver used?
Mike

From: Uriah on
On Dec 9, 4:20 am, "amdx" <a...(a)knology.net> wrote:
> "Uriah" <uriah...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:acb93dd8-3258-4ed5-b35d-e3b3937a3e36(a)f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com...>I have a Infrared LED transmitter and receiver that is part of a
> > redemption game and I need to get some new ones. The distributor wants
> > $100.00 for a pair of them.   Of course the distributor or the
> > manufacture won't tell me anything about them and there are no docs or
> > specs or anything to help me in trying to find them from Mouser or
> > Digi-key. Is there an easy way to figure out what they are so that I
> > can pick them up for probably under $5.00 from anyone but the
> > distributor?  I am hoping for some cheap test gear that tells you the
> > wave length and what ever else I need to know.
> > Thanks
> > Russ
>
>   I had an ice machine that used an Infrared LED transmitter and receiver.
> When
> the leads corrodide off of one of them, I found it cost $105 plus shipping
> get the new assembly. I went to Radio Shack and bought their infrared
> transmitter
> and receiver pair, and installed them. It worked fine.
>  What is a redemtion game and how is the Infrared LED transmitter and
> receiver used?
>                                                Mike

It is one of those games you played as a kid and got tickets from it.
Like Skee Ball, etc. Like at a Chuckie Cheese. All these do is
determine position but I tried some other ones and I couldn't get it
to work. If I remember right I measured 5 volts at the receiver and
it dropped below 1 volt when the transmitter made contact. Perhaps I
just need a pair that operates like that, but what do I look for?
What spec is that? The game is a long way off so I have a hard time
experimenting. . I run across these all of the time and was hoping
for some test instrument that would help, but I guess they don't have
one for what I am looking for. I did buy all of the radio shack IR
LED's along with many others but it is hard to match them up.
Thanks
Russ
From: ehsjr on
Uriah wrote:

> It is one of those games you played as a kid and got tickets from it.
> Like Skee Ball, etc. Like at a Chuckie Cheese. All these do is
> determine position but I tried some other ones and I couldn't get it
> to work. If I remember right I measured 5 volts at the receiver and
> it dropped below 1 volt when the transmitter made contact. Perhaps I
> just need a pair that operates like that, but what do I look for?
> What spec is that? The game is a long way off so I have a hard time
> experimenting. . I run across these all of the time and was hoping
> for some test instrument that would help, but I guess they don't have
> one for what I am looking for. I did buy all of the radio shack IR
> LED's along with many others but it is hard to match them up.
> Thanks
> Russ

Radio Shack 276-142 is a matched emitter/detector pair.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049723

Ed