From: News123 on
Hi,

I am using the PIL function from_buffer in python 2.6.4

I am having the line
im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf)

I receive the warning:
> ./pytest.py:63: RuntimeWarning: the frombuffer defaults may change in
a future release; for portability, change the call to read:
> frombuffer(mode, size, data, 'raw', mode, 0, 1)
> im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf)

Naively I assumed, that changing my code to

im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf,'raw','L',0,1)

should fix the issue:

However I receive exactly the same error as before.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks a lot in advance and bye

From: Peter Otten on
News123 wrote:

> I am using the PIL function from_buffer in python 2.6.4
>
> I am having the line
> im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf)
>

> I receive the warning:
>> ./pytest.py:63: RuntimeWarning: the frombuffer defaults may change in
> a future release; for portability, change the call to read:
>> frombuffer(mode, size, data, 'raw', mode, 0, 1)
>> im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf)
>

> Naively I assumed, that changing my code to
>

> im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf,'raw','L',0,1)
>

> should fix the issue:
>
> However I receive exactly the same error as before.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I cannot reproduce the problem:

$ cat frombuffer.py
import sys
import Image
wx = 3
wy = 2
buf = "a"*wx*wy
if "--fixed" in sys.argv:
Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf, "raw", "L", 0, 1)
else:
Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf)

$ python frombuffer.py
frombuffer.py:9: RuntimeWarning: the frombuffer defaults may change in a
future release; for portability, change the call to read:
frombuffer(mode, size, data, 'raw', mode, 0, 1)
Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf)
$ python frombuffer.py --fixed
$ python -c"import Image; print Image.VERSION"
1.1.6
$ python -V
Python 2.6.4

Peter
From: News123 on
Hi Peter,

Peter Otten wrote:
> News123 wrote:
> I cannot reproduce the problem:
>
> $ cat frombuffer.py
> import sys
> import Image
> wx = 3
> wy = 2
> buf = "a"*wx*wy
> if "--fixed" in sys.argv:
> Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf, "raw", "L", 0, 1)
> else:
> Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf)
>
> $ python frombuffer.py
> frombuffer.py:9: RuntimeWarning: the frombuffer defaults may change in a
> future release; for portability, change the call to read:
> frombuffer(mode, size, data, 'raw', mode, 0, 1)
> Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf)
> $ python frombuffer.py --fixed
> $ python -c"import Image; print Image.VERSION"
> 1.1.6
> $ python -V
> Python 2.6.4
>
> Peter

You're absolutely right. It was my error.
I shouldn't do any lat night coding :-(.

I fixed one frombuffer() statement, but overlooked a second one in my
code :-(

Apologies