From: Tom St Denis on
On Jul 30, 3:32 am, MrD <mrdemean...(a)jackpot.invalid> wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>
> > While a crypto system is a chaotic system in some sense, most chaotic
> >  systems have attractor cycles, etc. There are organized structures
> > within the chaos. Organized structures are anathema to crypto.
> > Thus,most chaotic systems are useless for crypto.
>
> The HWRNGs built-in to some CPUs are based on two or more free-running
> oscillators, commonly (so I understand) using a ring of gates to make an
> oscillator. It strikes me that as a source of randomness such a circuit
> is as much turbulent as random, and I understand that turbulence is more
> a chaotic phenomenon than a truly random one.
>
> I'm pretty much out of my depth on this. I'd appreciate the views of
> someone who knows something about the subject. I'm suspicious of this
> type of TRNG on the grounds that Unruh has given; and because I believe
> that the oscillators are exhibiting turbulence and not randomness.
>
> Are my suspicions reasonable?

Ring oscillators [typically built out of a series of NOT gates]
basically rely on meta instability to extract any sense of entropy out
of the system. The idea being if you let them free run [unclocked]
some of the NOT gates outputs won't reflect their periodic input,
multiply that effect by having a long chain, or better yet, several co-
prime length chains and you start seeing some entropy out of it.

I don't know if that's considered "chaotic." In my mind a chaotic
function is one which behaves highly non-linear even with respect to a
great many sample points. Like I can know the temperature for the
last 100 days but I still can't plot out to tomorrow let alone next
week, let alone next month.

In the oscillator case I suppose there are variables to be had in
terms of the meta stability of the NOT gates, but I don't know if
that's sufficient.

There are attractor cycles to them, for instance they really need to
be on their own power rails. Or you get something like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysnkY4WHyM

Happening. The switching NOT gates take power which influences other
things on the same rail, which in turn actually drives them to produce
lower entropy outputs.

Tom
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Scott Contini wrote:

> If one has a good solution that uses chaos theory
> and solves important problems in crypto, then they
> should propose it and let the crypto people analyse
> it. If the crypto community likes it, then and only
> then will chaos theory be considered a useful tool
> for cryptography.

I am not sure what I'll say below is correct but let me nonetheless
say it anyway. Is there a known 'standard' place where scientific
results/proposals in the field of crypto should/must be submitted
in order for these to be recognized? I mean, it is commonly
known that two different fields of sciences may have certain
overlapping regions and it often deploringly happens that the
communications between the two groups of scientists are much less
than optimal. Hypothetically taking the standpoint of e.g. the
authors of the paper I cited, I think they could say something like:
"Our paper is published in a very reknown international scientific
journal. Why are there many working in the field of crypto apparently
so lazy as not to cast even a glance of it?". Couldn't they?

M. K. Shen

From: Tom St Denis on
On Jul 30, 8:20 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> Scott Contini wrote:
> > If one has a good solution that uses chaos theory
> > and solves important problems in crypto, then they
> > should propose it and let the crypto people analyse
> > it.  If the crypto community likes it, then and only
> > then will chaos theory be considered a useful tool
> > for cryptography.
>
> I am not sure what I'll say below is correct but let me nonetheless
> say it anyway. Is there a known 'standard' place where scientific
> results/proposals in the field of crypto should/must be submitted
> in order for these to be recognized? I mean, it is commonly

They're called journals. There are different crypto conferences like
CRYPTO, CHES, FSE, SAC, PKC, etc... all with slightly different
purposes. A chaos theory paper would probably be suited for CRYPTO.

> known that two different fields of sciences may have certain
> overlapping regions and it often deploringly happens that the
> communications between the two groups of scientists are much less
> than optimal.  Hypothetically taking the standpoint of e.g. the
> authors of the paper I cited, I think they could say something like:

There are papers out there on using chaos theory in cipher design,
it's just that it usually doesn't turn out to be effective and people
stop working on it. There isn't some vast conspiracy going on here.

Tom
From: unruh on
On 2010-07-30, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> Scott Contini wrote:
>
>> If one has a good solution that uses chaos theory
>> and solves important problems in crypto, then they
>> should propose it and let the crypto people analyse
>> it. If the crypto community likes it, then and only
>> then will chaos theory be considered a useful tool
>> for cryptography.
>
> I am not sure what I'll say below is correct but let me nonetheless
> say it anyway. Is there a known 'standard' place where scientific
> results/proposals in the field of crypto should/must be submitted
> in order for these to be recognized? I mean, it is commonly

Yes. Journals.

> known that two different fields of sciences may have certain
> overlapping regions and it often deploringly happens that the
> communications between the two groups of scientists are much less
> than optimal. Hypothetically taking the standpoint of e.g. the
> authors of the paper I cited, I think they could say something like:
> "Our paper is published in a very reknown international scientific
> journal. Why are there many working in the field of crypto apparently
> so lazy as not to cast even a glance of it?". Couldn't they?

If they want to be noticed by the crypto community they should get off
their buts and find the journals that the crypt people read. Noone has
the time to read every journal in the world. Publishing your latest
theory on quantum gravity in the journal of Molecular Biology, no matter
how reputeable, will have zero impact.

As I said, a crypto system IS a chaotic system, but of a very very
special kind. Most chaotic systems are unsuitable for crypto because of
things like limit cycles and other coherences. It is not the crypto
people who are lazy, it is those authors who cannot bother to figure out
exactly what is needed to create good crypto.

From: unruh on
On 2010-07-30, Tom St Denis <tom(a)iahu.ca> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 3:32?am, MrD <mrdemean...(a)jackpot.invalid> wrote:
>> unruh wrote:
>>
>> > While a crypto system is a chaotic system in some sense, most chaotic
>> > ?systems have attractor cycles, etc. There are organized structures
>> > within the chaos. Organized structures are anathema to crypto.
>> > Thus,most chaotic systems are useless for crypto.
>>
>> The HWRNGs built-in to some CPUs are based on two or more free-running
>> oscillators, commonly (so I understand) using a ring of gates to make an
>> oscillator. It strikes me that as a source of randomness such a circuit
>> is as much turbulent as random, and I understand that turbulence is more
>> a chaotic phenomenon than a truly random one.
>>
>> I'm pretty much out of my depth on this. I'd appreciate the views of
>> someone who knows something about the subject. I'm suspicious of this
>> type of TRNG on the grounds that Unruh has given; and because I believe
>> that the oscillators are exhibiting turbulence and not randomness.
>>
>> Are my suspicions reasonable?
>
> Ring oscillators [typically built out of a series of NOT gates]
> basically rely on meta instability to extract any sense of entropy out
> of the system. The idea being if you let them free run [unclocked]
> some of the NOT gates outputs won't reflect their periodic input,
> multiply that effect by having a long chain, or better yet, several co-
> prime length chains and you start seeing some entropy out of it.
>
> I don't know if that's considered "chaotic." In my mind a chaotic
> function is one which behaves highly non-linear even with respect to a
> great many sample points. Like I can know the temperature for the
> last 100 days but I still can't plot out to tomorrow let alone next
> week, let alone next month.

Sure you can. The temp may well be chaotic, but that does not stop one
being able to talk about climate. The earth's orbit is chaotic, but that
does not stop us from being able to predict the earth's position next
year (or even 1000 years) with amazing accuracy

> In the oscillator case I suppose there are variables to be had in
> terms of the meta stability of the NOT gates, but I don't know if
> that's sufficient.
>
> There are attractor cycles to them, for instance they really need to
> be on their own power rails. Or you get something like
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysnkY4WHyM
>
> Happening. The switching NOT gates take power which influences other
> things on the same rail, which in turn actually drives them to produce
> lower entropy outputs.
>
> Tom
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5