From: jcdickinson on
Hey All,

New around here :) - thought this might be the best place to get
answers.

I am trying to develop a service where a user can respond to
notification emails to perform certain actions. My original POC relied
on Message-ID and the In-Reply-To fields - which works fine on most
email clients (including Windows Desktop Outlook).

Here is the gotcha - Windows Mobile Outlook is completely non-
standards-compliant in this regard; and on top of this the Thread-
Index (which is a Microsoft invention - so I am very suprised). I have
messed around and inspected headers and Googled for hours to no avail.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe a registry setting to enable
this? I tried attaching an alternate view with a nonce-bytes; but
Exchange immediately (and most probably, rightly so) rejected it as
spam. I doubt Outlook Mobile would even include this alternate view in
the reply.

Thanks a ton guys.

Jonathan Dickinson
From: jcdickinson on
Okay, so I did a little more experimentation and it looks like "Reply
All" keeps the Thread-Index sane. Why not In-Reply-To? This locks me
into Exchange-based deployments. And why only when "Reply All" is
used?