From: Charlie-Boo on

In a consistent system, can a true sentence imply a false one?

C-B
From: Jim Burns on
Charlie-Boo wrote:
> In a consistent system, can a true sentence imply a false one?

The most straightforward answer to your question is "No".

The reason is hard to express in a way that actually
makes the situation clearer, in much the same way that
it is hard to explain /why/ a bachelor cannot be married.

If A is a false sentence, then ~A is a true one.
If B is a true sentence and B implies A and A is false,
then we can assert
~A
B -> A
from which it follows
A & ~A

Another way of looking at it is that having
true sentences imply only true sentences is what
implications are /for/. If they didn't do that, then we
would be spending our time looking at some other
logical function, or something, anything else which
served a similar purpose: pushing out the envelope of
the known.

Any more explanation than this starts to tread on
"What is a consistent system?", "What is a true
or false sentence?", or "What is an implication?"
territory. These questions have answers and
reasons behind the answers, too. I don't know if
addressing them helps clarify the original question
or just extends the conversation.

Jim Burns

From: Aatu Koskensilta on
Charlie-Boo <shymathguy(a)gmail.com> writes:

> In a consistent system, can a true sentence imply a false one?

Sure.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, dar�ber muss man schweigen"
From: Daryl McCullough on
Jim Burns says...

>Charlie-Boo wrote:
>> In a consistent system, can a true sentence imply a false one?
>
>The most straightforward answer to your question is "No".
>
>The reason is hard to express in a way that actually
>makes the situation clearer, in much the same way that
>it is hard to explain /why/ a bachelor cannot be married.
>
>If A is a false sentence, then ~A is a true one.
>If B is a true sentence and B implies A and A is false,
>then we can assert
> ~A
> B -> A
>from which it follows
> A & ~A
>
>Another way of looking at it is that having
>true sentences imply only true sentences is what
>implications are /for/. If they didn't do that, then we
>would be spending our time looking at some other
>logical function, or something, anything else which
>served a similar purpose: pushing out the envelope of
>the known.

Charlie said *consistent* system, not *sound* system. A consistent
system only guarantees that you can't derive a contradiction. There
is no requirement that you can't derive false conclusions.

So, for instance, if A is a false statement, and A is an *axiom*,
and B is a true statement, then of course

B -> A

is derivable.

What you can say is this: If a system is consistent, then a provably
true statement can never imply a provably false statement. Not every
true statement is provably true, and not every false statement is provably
false.

On the other hand, a *sound* system has the property that only
true statements are provable. So for a sound system, a true statement
can never imply a false statement.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Nam Nguyen on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> Jim Burns says...
>
>> Charlie-Boo wrote:
>>> In a consistent system, can a true sentence imply a false one?
>> The most straightforward answer to your question is "No".
>>
>> The reason is hard to express in a way that actually
>> makes the situation clearer, in much the same way that
>> it is hard to explain /why/ a bachelor cannot be married.
>>
>> If A is a false sentence, then ~A is a true one.
>> If B is a true sentence and B implies A and A is false,
>> then we can assert
>> ~A
>> B -> A
>>from which it follows
>> A & ~A
>>
>> Another way of looking at it is that having
>> true sentences imply only true sentences is what
>> implications are /for/. If they didn't do that, then we
>> would be spending our time looking at some other
>> logical function, or something, anything else which
>> served a similar purpose: pushing out the envelope of
>> the known.
>
> Charlie said *consistent* system, not *sound* system. A consistent
> system only guarantees that you can't derive a contradiction. There
> is no requirement that you can't derive false conclusions.
>
> So, for instance, if A is a false statement, and A is an *axiom*,
> and B is a true statement, then of course
>
> B -> A
>
> is derivable.
>
> What you can say is this: If a system is consistent, then a provably
> true statement can never imply a provably false statement. Not every
> true statement is provably true, and not every false statement is provably
> false.
>
> On the other hand, a *sound* system has the property that only
> true statements are provable. So for a sound system, a true statement
> can never imply a false statement.

It goes without saying that by "true statements" we assume to mean
"arithmetically true statements". So "soundness" is a relative concept:
relative what we mean by "arithmetic" and there's no absolutely "sound"
system. Of course.

Time passes, there is no way we can hold it back.
Why, then, do thoughts linger long after everything
else is gone?
Ryokan