From: cbrichards via SQLMonster.com on
Can somebody help enlighten me on the negatives of a large include list of an

From: Dan Guzman on
> Can somebody help enlighten me on the negatives of a large include list of
> an

The main downsides that come to mind are:

Increased space requirements
possible lower buffer cache hit ratio
Increased deadlock likelihood

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

From: cbrichards via SQLMonster.com on
Thanks Dan.

I was interested in the "increased deadlock likelihood". After considering
this downside, I was not able to fully wrap my mind about it. Is the
increased deadlock likelihood due to an index (with a large include list)
taking longer to update in a DML operation?

From: Erland Sommarskog on
cbrichards via SQLMonster.com (u3288(a)uwe) writes:
> I was interested in the "increased deadlock likelihood". After considering
> this downside, I was not able to fully wrap my mind about it. Is the
> increased deadlock likelihood due to an index (with a large include list)
> taking longer to update in a DML operation?

I'm not exactly sure what Dan had in mind, but I would add that the
more columns there are in the index, the more likely that an UPDATE
will need to update an index page as well. That obviously takes more
time, and it is conceivable that it also widens the window of oppurtunity
for deadlocks.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Dan Guzman on
> I was interested in the "increased deadlock likelihood". After considering
> this downside, I was not able to fully wrap my mind about it. Is the
> increased deadlock likelihood due to an index (with a large include list)
> taking longer to update in a DML operation?

Erland is correct about why I made this statement. The same data needs to
be updated in multiple places so modifications will take a little longer and
this can increase deadlock likelihood. Also, introducing any index change
can affect the behavior of an existing system because data access paths are
changed and this can sometimes introduce deadlocks that did not previously
occur.

I should add that INCLUDEd columns are quite useful when used appropriately.
The few downsides often outweigh the performance gains.