From: RJ Roberts on
A possible explaination:

You don't mention what version of SS 2008 you are using. I'm almost certain
you need the Enterprise version to use the Online Index rebuild option. What
I have seen in the past however is that it doesn't complain about the Online
= On with a non Enterprise version it just goes ahead with an offline
rebuild. Which would explain your difficulties.

--
RJ Roberts
DB Architect/Developer