From: Etaoin Shrdlu on
On 3/7/2010 12:17 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:41:36 -0000, "Tim Meddick"
> <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote:
>

>> I cannot tell you how to accomplish what you want.
>>
>> But I can tell you that both the effect that Removable Drives [Class] do not display
>> Total and Free Space (as InfoTips) and that the option to Make Partition Active
>> should be greyed out in Disk Management.
>>
>> Both of these behaviours is normal if undesirable.
>>
>> I too think; "why shouldn't free-space be displayed on Removable Drives, just as it
>> is on fixed disks?"
>>
>> But the facts are that they aren't.
>

> Interesting. I had never noticed this, so I wanted to check it. I
> don't have an XP machine handy to check it on, so I only checked in
> Windows 7. In Windows 7, free space is displayed on removable drive,
> just as with fixed ones.
>
> So, if you don't mind my asking, are you sure of what you say? Can you
> check it one more time?

WinXP Home, SP3, no display for flash drives.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:47:42 -0600, Etaoin Shrdlu <etaoin(a)shrdlu.net>
wrote:

> On 3/7/2010 12:17 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:41:36 -0000, "Tim Meddick"
> > <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I cannot tell you how to accomplish what you want.
> >>
> >> But I can tell you that both the effect that Removable Drives [Class] do not display
> >> Total and Free Space (as InfoTips) and that the option to Make Partition Active
> >> should be greyed out in Disk Management.
> >>
> >> Both of these behaviours is normal if undesirable.
> >>
> >> I too think; "why shouldn't free-space be displayed on Removable Drives, just as it
> >> is on fixed disks?"
> >>
> >> But the facts are that they aren't.
> >

> > Interesting. I had never noticed this, so I wanted to check it. I
> > don't have an XP machine handy to check it on, so I only checked in
> > Windows 7. In Windows 7, free space is displayed on removable drive,
> > just as with fixed ones.
> >
> > So, if you don't mind my asking, are you sure of what you say? Can you
> > check it one more time?
> >

> WinXP Home, SP3, no display for flash drives.

Thanks. So XP and 7 must be different in that regard.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Etaoin Shrdlu on
On 3/7/2010 8:00 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:47:42 -0600, Etaoin Shrdlu<etaoin(a)shrdlu.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/7/2010 12:17 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

>>> Interesting. I had never noticed this, so I wanted to check it. I
>>> don't have an XP machine handy to check it on, so I only checked in
>>> Windows 7. In Windows 7, free space is displayed on removable drive,
>>> just as with fixed ones.
>>>
>>> So, if you don't mind my asking, are you sure of what you say? Can you
>>> check it one more time?
>>>

>> WinXP Home, SP3, no display for flash drives.
>

> Thanks. So XP and 7 must be different in that regard.

So we have at least one documented improvement. :>)
From: Llibert on
Thank you again for the attention that all of you paid to my question. I
realize that in the meantime we must resign ourselves to click on context
menu, Properties, just for pendrives and memory cards. Maybe I'll see a fix
before migrating to other OS versions ...
From: Tim Meddick on
Ken, despite what [some] other people may say about me, I do make quite an effort to
see that what I post is firmly grounded in fact.

I spent some time looking at the effect when I answered this post, but have noticed
it before and found it very annoying.

I have made many customizations to XP by "hacking" my way around the registry but, as
yet, have not found a way of making Removable Drives display "Total size" and "Free
space" as an "InfoTip" as is the case with Fixed Disks. But I am still searching....

Indeed, Win7 seems to be accomplished in the little "fixes" XP needed!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)