From: David VomLehn on
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:43:00PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:33:56 -0700 David VomLehn wrote:
>
> > This patch allows the location of a call to be recorded as a small integer,
> > with each call location ("callsite") assigned a new value the first time
> > the code in that location is executed. Locations can be recorded as a
> > an address or as a __FILE__/__LINE__ pair. The later is easier to read, but
> > requires significantly more space.
>
> Did you happen to look at what drivers/base/power/trace.c does for callsite
> recording?

No, but at one point I did have a similar implementation working. I moved
away from it because I was leery of add yet another section to vmlinux.lds.S
for such a narrow range of functionality. If adding a section makes sense
to others, I'll do it since I felt it was overall a better solution.

--
David VL