From: Alain Dekker on
Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?

I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what has
been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want to go,
and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've accidentally
hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters, having to undo,
press Insert again, continue, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Alain

From: SC Tom on

"Alain Dekker" <alain.dekker(a)NO.SPAM.loma.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>
> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what
> has been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want
> to go, and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've
> accidentally hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters,
> having to undo, press Insert again, continue, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alain

Jam something under it so it can't be pressed?

Just kidding, although that may be the easiest way. Being a four fingers,
all thumbs typist (using the term VERY loosely), I feel your pain. I
sometimes hit the Insert key when reaching for the Delete key, but have
kinda learned to live with it :-)
--
SC Tom

From: Alain Dekker on
We need to start a petition to the hardware driver writers to include this
as a feature! I cannot believe more than 1% of people need the functionality
that "Insert" provides (brace self for responses from people who "could not
live without it").

Your idea of jamming something under the key might not be a bad one... :o)

Thanks,
Alain

From: Bill Blanton on
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2kscan-map.mspx

As an example, here's a reg file I use to map the Caps Lock to Left-Shift.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode
Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,2a,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00

You can find the keyboard scancodes here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/scancode.doc

From: Bob I on
learn to use CTRL-Z for "undo"