From: Cameron Smith on
I am attempting to install 1.9.1 from source on CentOS 5.4 and am
running into an issue.

after unpacking the archive and cd-ing into the ruby-1.9.1-p376 I run:
/configure --with-openssl-dir=/usr/lib/openssl

but the last line of the output shows:
config.status: creating Makefile
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-openssl-dir

What do I need to do to get the creation of the makefile to not throw
that warning?

From: v4 forums on

Hi Cameron,

I am new to Ruby and I came across this same problem when I was installing
ruby for the first time on my Ubuntu box. But after spending some time on
it, I found the following steps works without much of a problem for
installing ruby with openssl.

Ignore the --with-openssl-dir: I think the problem is to say with using
[dash][dash]with-openssl-dir instead of [dash][dash]
[dash][dash]with-openssl-dir. Google for the same and you will find the
reason

Instead, try this approach:

1. Install ruby with ./configure --prefix = /installation_path
2. Download openssl source and run ./config --perfix= /installation_path
Note: OpenSSL 1.0.X version doesn't seems to be working with ruby.
OpenSSL-0.9.8n worked for me. Also use the same $installation_path for both
'prefix' declarations. e.g., --prefix=/usr/local
3. Complete OpenSSL installation.
extconf.rb, make, make install respectively.

Now I am sure, all the required packages for openssl can be identified by
ruby whenever required.

Hope this helps. I have also blogged about the same in the following
location. Feel free to check this out too.
http://theflashesofinsight.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/ubuntu-rails-fix-starting-webrick-openssl-issue/

With be glad to hear from the group if there are any better solutions.

Thanks

From: Brian Candler on
v4 forums wrote:
> With be glad to hear from the group if there are any better solutions.

There's no need to install openssl from source. Just install the
openssl-devel package before building ruby (yum install openssl-devel)