From: safety123 on
I would like to install Vista on a Macintosh I have. Bootcamp
It's a 250 g hard drive, but I've already used up 150 g.

Is there a way not to put on all that extra's that comes with
Windows?

I've already bought it a year and a half ago, the macintosh hard drive
was replaced.

Thank you
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <e2gm36hd4agsf8h49sisd0be3l32q1ppiv(a)4ax.com>,
safety123(a)aol.com wrote:

> I would like to install Vista on a Macintosh I have. Bootcamp
> It's a 250 g hard drive, but I've already used up 150 g.
>
> Is there a way not to put on all that extra's that comes with
> Windows?
>
> I've already bought it a year and a half ago, the macintosh hard drive
> was replaced.
>
> Thank you

Why Vista and not Windows 7?

Wy Bootcamp and not VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop which both let
you create a virtual Windows hard disk as a simple file in the Mac OS X
file system rather than having to partition a hard drive?

JR
From: isw on
In article <jollyroger-6D7A32.11314512072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <e2gm36hd4agsf8h49sisd0be3l32q1ppiv(a)4ax.com>,
> safety123(a)aol.com wrote:
>
> > I would like to install Vista on a Macintosh I have. Bootcamp
> > It's a 250 g hard drive, but I've already used up 150 g.
> >
> > Is there a way not to put on all that extra's that comes with
> > Windows?
> >
> > I've already bought it a year and a half ago, the macintosh hard drive
> > was replaced.
> >
> > Thank you
>
> Why Vista and not Windows 7?
>
> Wy Bootcamp and not VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop which both let
> you create a virtual Windows hard disk as a simple file in the Mac OS X
> file system rather than having to partition a hard drive?

FWIW, I'm having pretty good luck with VirtualBox (which is free). I
have windows 98 and Ubuntu running under it. VB lets you set up your
virtual drives so they're no larger than necessary to handle whatever
you install, and "grow" when they need to. Stable and easy, but Windows
doesn't run quite fast enough to let me play the pinball game I wanted
to try.

Both Windows and Linux found the Mac's network connections and used them
with no effort on my part, and the USB-connected DVD unit works, too.

I understand that the latest versions of VB allow you to install OS X on
a virtual machine running on OS X; I haven't tried that, but it would be
an interesting way for a Leopard user to gain access to apps that won't
work past Tiger (like older versions of PhotoShop).

Isaac
From: dorayme on
In article <isw-090D56.09521712072010@[216.168.3.50]>,
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I'm having pretty good luck with VirtualBox (which is free). I
> have windows 98 and Ubuntu running under it. VB lets you set up your
> virtual drives so they're no larger than necessary to handle whatever
> you install, and "grow" when they need to. Stable and easy,

Me too, I was surprised to see how I was online on Windows
without having to do anything, I don't think I even did any
configuring for broadband ethernet or wireless on Windows. I put
XP Pro on. Basically to check website page display and function
on Windows.

Anyway OP might like to try this, no need to boot separately and
have the Mac OS so far away.

--
dorayme
From: Mac Daddy on

<safety123(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> I would like to install Vista on a Macintosh I have. Bootcamp
> It's a 250 g hard drive, but I've already used up 150 g.
>
> Is there a way not to put on all that extra's that comes with
> Windows?
>
> I've already bought it a year and a half ago, the macintosh hard drive
> was replaced.
>
> Thank you

Windows 7 is the way to go - light years better than Vista.