From: Alex Mentis on
Be advised: GNAT GPL 2010 did not install correctly for me on Windows
Vista with User Account Control turned on. It raised a "cannot modify
HKLM" error, and it did not install Start menu shortcuts or modify my
path (so who knows what else it also didn't do...). Manually
configuring these two items was insufficient to subsequently install
GtkAda (GtkAda installer did not recognize that GNAT was installed).

Recommendation: turn off User Account Control during the installation
of GNAT GPL 2010. So far this work-around seems to have fixed the
problems above.

From: Albrecht Käfer on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:24:48 +0200, Alex Mentis <asmentis(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Be advised: GNAT GPL 2010 did not install correctly for me on Windows
> Vista with User Account Control turned on. It raised a "cannot modify
> HKLM" error, and it did not install Start menu shortcuts or modify my
> path (so who knows what else it also didn't do...). Manually
> configuring these two items was insufficient to subsequently install
> GtkAda (GtkAda installer did not recognize that GNAT was installed).
>
> Recommendation: turn off User Account Control during the installation
> of GNAT GPL 2010. So far this work-around seems to have fixed the
> problems above.

“Run as administrator�? from the context menu did it for me. Someone (the
word “idiot�? comes to mind) apparently forget that an installer should
request elevation.

Albrecht
From: Mark Lorenzen on
On 24 Jun., 21:24, Alex Mentis <asmen...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Be advised: GNAT GPL 2010 did not install correctly for me on Windows
> Vista with User Account Control turned on.  It raised a "cannot modify
> HKLM" error, and it did not install Start menu shortcuts or modify my
> path (so who knows what else it also didn't do...).  Manually
> configuring these two items was insufficient to subsequently install
> GtkAda (GtkAda installer did not recognize that GNAT was installed).
>
> Recommendation:  turn off User Account Control during the installation
> of GNAT GPL 2010.  So far this work-around seems to have fixed the
> problems above.

Huh? I can't see that GNAT GPL 2010 has even been released yet. From
where did you obtain it?

- Mark L
From: Albrecht Käfer on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:45:33 +0200, Mark Lorenzen
<mark.lorenzen(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Huh? I can't see that GNAT GPL 2010 has even been released yet. From
> where did you obtain it?

The usual place. Just click on the GNAT GPL 2009 link. Or go directly to
here:
http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/

Albrecht
From: Alex Mentis on
On Jun 25, 2:55 am, Albrecht Käfer <albrecht_kae...(a)yahoo.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:24:48 +0200, Alex Mentis <asmen...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Be advised: GNAT GPL 2010 did not install correctly for me on Windows
> > Vista with User Account Control turned on.  It raised a "cannot modify
> > HKLM" error, and it did not install Start menu shortcuts or modify my
> > path (so who knows what else it also didn't do...).  Manually
> > configuring these two items was insufficient to subsequently install
> > GtkAda (GtkAda installer did not recognize that GNAT was installed).
>
> > Recommendation:  turn off User Account Control during the installation
> > of GNAT GPL 2010.  So far this work-around seems to have fixed the
> > problems above.
>
> “Run as administrator ? from the context menu did it for me. Someone (the
> word “idiot ? comes to mind) apparently forget that an installer should
> request elevation.
>
> Albrecht

Of course... Run as administrator is probably the better solution. I
should have thought of that.