From: Luis Lavena on
On Aug 2, 10:37 am, Bill Campbell <bill44...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
> >  What's the best way to install Ruby
> >> 1.9.2rc2 on my Windows7 machine?
>
> >http://rubyinstaller.org/
>
> > click on downloads, look for 1.9.2
>
> Thanks Roger...
>
> There isn't an installer for 1.9.2rc2. It's marked as Experimental. I
> can download it but not sure what to do after that.

You need 7-zip to extract that package.

You can extract it to any directory and after append the bin directory
to the PATH.

If what I'm saying is too complicated (or have no idea what all that
means) then use 1.8.7 from the installers.

--
Luis Lavena
From: Roger Pack on

> There isn't an installer for 1.9.2rc2. It's marked as Experimental. I
> can download it but not sure what to do after that.

unzip it using 7 zip, cd into the "bin" folder, run ruby from there. Or
add the bin folder to your path.

From: Brian Candler on
Bill Campbell wrote:
> Thanks! The book had recommended using at least 1.9.1 but there seems to
> be alot of issues with that version so I thought I'd try to figure out
> how to use the 1.9.2 that others have said solve many of those problems.

ruby 1.9.x is a fundamentally different language to 1.8.x, both in its
implementation (YARV engine) and in its core behaviour (especially
Strings which are totally different). I'm afraid the "minor" point
revision is highly misleading.

Personally I much prefer the ruby 1.8 language, and that's what I'm
sticking with. This is not an opinion shared by the majority here, but
it's something you'll have to make your own mind up about.

If Rails ever goes 1.9-only, then I'll be dropping Rails.

Regards,

Brian.

From: Bill Campbell on
Brian Candler wrote:
> Bill Campbell wrote:
>> Thanks! The book had recommended using at least 1.9.1 but there seems to
>> be alot of issues with that version so I thought I'd try to figure out
>> how to use the 1.9.2 that others have said solve many of those problems.
>
> ruby 1.9.x is a fundamentally different language to 1.8.x, both in its
> implementation (YARV engine) and in its core behaviour (especially
> Strings which are totally different). I'm afraid the "minor" point
> revision is highly misleading.
>
> Personally I much prefer the ruby 1.8 language, and that's what I'm
> sticking with. This is not an opinion shared by the majority here, but
> it's something you'll have to make your own mind up about.
>
> If Rails ever goes 1.9-only, then I'll be dropping Rails.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Brian,
Good insight - I hadn't thought about this part at all. Thanks for the
thoughts on this.
regards,
Bill

From: Bill Campbell on
Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Aug 2, 10:37�am, Bill Campbell <bill44...(a)msn.com> wrote:
>> There isn't an installer for 1.9.2rc2. It's marked as Experimental. I
>> can download it but not sure what to do after that.
>>

> You need 7-zip to extract that package.
>
> You can extract it to any directory and after append the bin directory
> to the PATH.
>
> If what I'm saying is too complicated (or have no idea what all that
> means) then use 1.8.7 from the installers.

Hi Luis,
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
regards,
Bill Campbell