From: W on
I want to install a fresh Windows XP installation on a Lenovo Y730.
Apparently the Windows XP setup CD does not see the hard drive controller on
this notebook by default. What is the recommended way to get the required
device driver?

Articles online talk about a "recovery CD" but in this case there is nothing
to "recover" because it is a fresh install.

From: W on
"W" <persistentone(a)spamarrest.com> wrote in message
>I want to install a fresh Windows XP installation on a Lenovo Y730.
>Apparently the Windows XP setup CD does not see the hard drive controller
>on this notebook by default. What is the recommended way to get the
>required device driver?
>
> Articles online talk about a "recovery CD" but in this case there is
> nothing to "recover" because it is a fresh install.

Does the Lenovo Y730 use Intel SATA ICH8M or ICH8R?

From: W on
"W" <persistentone(a)spamarrest.com> wrote in message
>I want to install a fresh Windows XP installation on a Lenovo Y730.
>Apparently the Windows XP setup CD does not see the hard drive controller
>on this notebook by default. What is the recommended way to get the
>required device driver?
>
> Articles online talk about a "recovery CD" but in this case there is
> nothing to "recover" because it is a fresh install.

When we download the IBM SATA RAID driver for the IdeaPad Y730 from the
Lenovo web site, and use F6 on Windows XP setup to see the drives on a
floppy, we are presented with four selections. No matter which one of the
four we select, the Windows XP setup program blue screens at the end of the
driver selection process. We are not able to proceed from that point on.

Lenovo's technical support group was frighteningly incompetent. They
didn't know that Lenovo had a Windows XP driver for the Y730 onboard SATA
RAID controller. They didn't know that Windows XP install required a
separate device driver to support the onboard SATA RAID. They didn't know
any details of what kind of SATA RAID was in the Y730.

From: BillW50 on
In news:jqWdnb44_5hLTK_WnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d(a)giganews.com,
W typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:28:37 -0800:
> "W" <persistentone(a)spamarrest.com> wrote in message
>> I want to install a fresh Windows XP installation on a Lenovo Y730.

This originally came with Vista.

>> Apparently the Windows XP setup CD does not see the hard drive
>> controller on this notebook by default. What is the recommended
>> way to get the required device driver?

Of course not. Vista comes with the SATA drivers. Windows XP does not.
Well unless it came with Windows XP in the first place. But you need the
recovery disc to begin with.

>> Articles online talk about a "recovery CD" but in this case there is
>> nothing to "recover" because it is a fresh install.

Don't recount the recovery disc. As it contains all of the drivers for
your make and model. The bad part is it probably also contains stuff you
do no want.

> Does the Lenovo Y730 use Intel SATA ICH8M or ICH8R?

I think they came with either. Why do you ask? As it is really tough
downgrading from Vista to XP. As in your case you need the SATA drivers
(or toggle a setting in the BIOS if you are luck). Then you need all of
the other drivers like sound card, WiFi,Ethernet, etc. If they don't
exist, you are just screwed.

You can't take any machine and throw Windows XP on it. First you have to
make sure you can get all of the XP drivers for it first.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
In news:PJOdnb0dHsEoQa_WnZ2dnUVZ_oCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com,
W typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:15:00 -0800:
> "W" <persistentone(a)spamarrest.com> wrote in message
>> I want to install a fresh Windows XP installation on a Lenovo Y730.
>> Apparently the Windows XP setup CD does not see the hard drive
>> controller on this notebook by default. What is the recommended
>> way to get the required device driver?
>>
>> Articles online talk about a "recovery CD" but in this case there is
>> nothing to "recover" because it is a fresh install.
>
> When we download the IBM SATA RAID driver for the IdeaPad Y730 from
> the Lenovo web site, and use F6 on Windows XP setup to see the drives
> on a floppy, we are presented with four selections. No matter which
> one of the four we select, the Windows XP setup program blue screens
> at the end of the driver selection process. We are not able to
> proceed from that point on.
> Lenovo's technical support group was frighteningly incompetent. They
> didn't know that Lenovo had a Windows XP driver for the Y730 onboard
> SATA RAID controller. They didn't know that Windows XP install
> required a separate device driver to support the onboard SATA RAID.
> They didn't know any details of what kind of SATA RAID was in the
> Y730.

A lot of people place a lot of trust in support. I don't! And this
doesn't surprise me in the least. At least did they speak English well?