From: Vincent Davis on
I have several versions of python installed and some I have built from
source which seems to install the python-dev on osx. I know that on
ubuntu python-dev is an optional install. The main python version I
use is the enthought distribution. Can I install the python-dev tools
with this? How. It there a good place for me to better understand what
python-dev is and how to get it installed on osx?

Thanks
Vincent
From: Robert Kern on
On 6/19/10 9:49 PM, Vincent Davis wrote:
> I have several versions of python installed and some I have built from
> source which seems to install the python-dev on osx. I know that on
> ubuntu python-dev is an optional install. The main python version I
> use is the enthought distribution. Can I install the python-dev tools
> with this? How. It there a good place for me to better understand what
> python-dev is and how to get it installed on osx?

Question specifically about the Enthought Python Distribution should be directed
to the epd-users mailing list:

However, to answer your question, there is no equivalent of a python-dev package
for EPD or any of the Python distributions on OS X that I am aware of. All of
them come with the necessary headers. On Linux distributions, Python
installations are typically divided up into several packages; the python-dev(el)
packages typically contain the header files and maybe a few other things for
people building Python packages and extensions.

I suspect that you are asking this question because you are trying to build
numpy and getting our message that says something along the lines of "I cannot
find Python.h; please install the python-dev package". There is something else
wrong with your environment. Please ask for help on either numpy-discussion or
epd-users. Tell us exactly what you are doing and exactly the output you are
getting (i.e., copy and paste your terminal session). If you have any relevant
environment variables set for some reason (CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, etc.) please let us
know.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."