From: Sidney Lambe on
On alt.os.linux.slackware, loc <c320sky(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed Slackware 13, actually Slackware-current without using the
> setup script and I think it may have resulted in a broken install.
> Basically everything seems to work, but I'm having trouble with USB
> devices. Some usb storage devices work and are auto mounted, but some
> are detected and show up with lsusb but no device in /dev/ is created
> for them. Also the Pidgin icon in the systray is missing, it's just a
> piece of paper. Here is how I did the install, I did this on a
> running Slackware 12 system:
>
> Mounted a new partition on /mnt and installed all the Slackware
> packages with
> this script
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for dir in a ap d e f k kde l n t tcl x xap y ; do
> ( cd $dir ; installpkg -root /mnt *.t?z )
> done
>
> Copy /etc/fstab /mnt/etc/fstab and modified accordingly
> Modify /mnt/etc/hosts
> Modify /mnt/etc/HOSTNAME
> Setup grub
> chroot /mnt set root password and create user account
> Set time zone by running `timeconfig' /var/log/setup/setup.timeconfig
>
> Is there anything wrong with installing a new system this way? I also
> setup another computer with the same version of Slack, but installed
> with a boot cdrom and running the Slackware setup script, this
> installation works and all the same USB devices that don't work on the
> manually installed box work on this one. Why would installing the
> way I did cause USB, udev, and or hal to not work for some devices?

Read the script and find out...

I basically do it that way, though I don't install all the packages
in any one dir by a long shot. Don't do KDE and don't even do X
right now. Don't use udev either. And that's probably where your
difficulty lies, which you seem to realize.

Like all of these 'user-friendly' Windows features, they work great
until they don't and then it's a nightmare.

Sid