From: George K. on
Hi guys,

I got me a new i7 CPU-based laptop. I got me the latest Kernel from
www.kernelhq.com and I am trying to configure the kernel.
Unfortunately, I cannot see an obvious choice for i7 CPUs in the
kernel config menus apart from MCORE2.
The option I see as of kernel 2.6.34 are:
--Opteron... (i.e. AMD CPUs)
--Intel P4/ older ...
--Core 2/newer Xeon
--Intel Atom
--Generic-x86-64

Is Core2/Xeon the correct option?

TIA,

George
From: Grant on

??? try www.kernel.org ?

>Unfortunately, I cannot see an obvious choice for i7 CPUs in the
>kernel config menus apart from MCORE2.
>The option I see as of kernel 2.6.34 are:
>--Opteron... (i.e. AMD CPUs)
>--Intel P4/ older ...
>--Core 2/newer Xeon
>--Intel Atom
>--Generic-x86-64
>
>Is Core2/Xeon the correct option?

That'd be my first try :)

Grant.
From: Darklight on
George K. wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I got me a new i7 CPU-based laptop. I got me the latest Kernel
from
> www.kernelhq.com and I am trying to configure the kernel.
> Unfortunately, I cannot see an
obvious choice for i7 CPUs in the
> kernel config menus apart from MCORE2.
> The option I see as
of kernel 2.6.34 are:
> --Opteron... (i.e. AMD CPUs)
> --Intel P4/ older ...
> --Core 2/newer
Xeon
> --Intel Atom
> --Generic-x86-64
>
> Is Core2/Xeon the correct option?
>
> TIA,

George

how many cores does the os see at the moment

From: Danno on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:43:46 -0700 (PDT)
"George K." <karabot(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I got me a new i7 CPU-based laptop. I got me the latest Kernel from
> www.kernelhq.com and I am trying to configure the kernel.
> Unfortunately, I cannot see an obvious choice for i7 CPUs in the
> kernel config menus apart from MCORE2.
> The option I see as of kernel 2.6.34 are:
> --Opteron... (i.e. AMD CPUs)
> --Intel P4/ older ...
> --Core 2/newer Xeon
> --Intel Atom
> --Generic-x86-64
>
> Is Core2/Xeon the correct option?
>
> TIA,
>
> George

I was looking at that the other day too, Core2 is the way I would go. Personally, I just run the 32-bit kernel with the nVidia module, and it seems fine to me. Is there something in the new kernel you really need?

--
Slackware 13.1, 2.6.33.4-smp, Core i7 920
RLU #272755
From: Loki Harfagr on
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:43:46 -0700, George K. did cat :

> Hi guys,
>
> I got me a new i7 CPU-based laptop. I got me the latest Kernel from
> www.kernelhq.com and I am trying to configure the kernel. Unfortunately,
> I cannot see an obvious choice for i7 CPUs in the kernel config menus
> apart from MCORE2. The option I see as of kernel 2.6.34 are:
> --Opteron... (i.e. AMD CPUs)
> --Intel P4/ older ...
> --Core 2/newer Xeon
> --Intel Atom
> --Generic-x86-64
>
> Is Core2/Xeon the correct option?

that's the one I chose on my i7 setups, I'll admit I didn't really
think about using any of the other choices since in the "help" panel
there was enough food for my thoughts, now maybe I'm wrong ;-)
---------
$ grep -C3 'cpu family' /proc/cpuinfo |tail -n6
processor : 7
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 26
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
stepping : 4
---------

from the 'menuconfig' "help" panel:
---------
CONFIG_MCORE2: x
x x
x x
x Select this for Intel Core 2 and newer Core 2 Xeons (Xeon 51xx and x
x 53xx) CPUs. You can distinguish newer from older Xeons by the CPU x
x family in /proc/cpuinfo. Newer ones have 6 and older ones 15 x
x (not a typo) x
x x
x Symbol: MCORE2 [=y] x
x Prompt: Core 2/newer Xeon x