From: Beverly Howard on
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/opinion/04brass.html?pagewanted=1&em

Several suspicions from my time as an mvp are confirmed.

Beverly Howard
From: r_z_aret on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 19:40:51 -0600, Beverly Howard
<Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/opinion/04brass.html?pagewanted=1&em
>
>Several suspicions from my time as an mvp are confirmed.

It makes sense to me, too.

>Beverly Howard

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
From: mike on
Gary Mount wrote:
> It doesn't seem that it will be much longer before the x86 CPU invades
> the territory of the current CPUs that run inside of these types of
> devices.
> When that happens I think Microsoft will be well positioned to put a
> variant of their desktop operating system on these new devices, and no
> longer will you have to get separate apps for your mobile phone and your
> desktop.
IN theory, maybe.
In practice, they need to dip into your pocket TWICE to SELL you two
different apps, even if they're almost identical.

From: r_z_aret on
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:39:39 -0800, mike <spamme0(a)go.com> wrote:

>Gary Mount wrote:
>> It doesn't seem that it will be much longer before the x86 CPU invades
>> the territory of the current CPUs that run inside of these types of
>> devices.
>> When that happens I think Microsoft will be well positioned to put a
>> variant of their desktop operating system on these new devices, and no
>> longer will you have to get separate apps for your mobile phone and your
>> desktop.
>IN theory, maybe.
>In practice, they need to dip into your pocket TWICE to SELL you two
>different apps, even if they're almost identical.

Having the same app run on both platforms makes life easier for
developers. Debugging is _much_ easier on "big" windows than Windows
Mobile, so having more source code in common means much of the
debugging can be done more easily. Maintaining source code also
becomes a bit easier. That would definitely reduce the costs to
developers. And that could mean more apps available for Windows
Mobile.

Having the same app run on multiple platforms could help users find
apps, and learn how to use them.

>> "Beverly Howard" <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
>>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/microsoft-windows-mobile/
>>>
>>> Beverly Howard

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
From: Sven on
I don't think that is a given. For full size apps, MS typically allows
installation on both a desktop and a laptop for use by the owner. Don't
think that would be unlikely for a desktop and mobile implementation. With a
common processor, there should be less development required to produce the
phone/mobile version as it would be largely a matter of UI restructure,
rather than a full rewrite for a different platform. There has even been
some precedence for MS providing both PC and mobile compatible apps, Streets
and Trips and Money for example, without the benefit of common code base.