From: Carl on
Here's the latest...

I compacted and repaired the MSAccess database after backing it up and
also checked the 'Compact on Close' option under Tools>Options>General.
It's a fairly small database so the compact runs in under 5 seconds. My
VB routine ran to completion this morning, so will continue to monitor
it, but thanks for everyone's suggestions and for the links provided.
While it's working I will incorporate your suggestions so that if and
when it breaks again it may be easier to track down the underlying cause.

Again, your help is greatly appreciated, as always.
Carl
From: Carl on
Very cool Paul. I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip!