From: Beacowboy on
I am documenting the cutover plans for a large Exchange 2003 environment to
Exchange 2007. We plan to establish RGC to the regional E2K3 BH servers but
not to the AG that provides the External SMTP Connectors which is called
INTERNET. LINKSTATE has been supressed on all E2K3 in the org.

Inbound External SMTP traffic will initially still route in via the INTERNET
AG RG, and it will be cutover to route in via the Exchange 2007 Hub Transport
as soon as it can be arranged.

My question is, how can I best configure the costing so that mailboxes
transitioned to Exchange 2007 will route only out of the Exchange 2007 SEND
Connectors and mailboxes not transitioned will continue to use the E2K3
INTERNET AG connectors.

All mailboxes route via their regional BH and each BH RG connects to
INTERNET AD RG with an RGC and the External SMTP Connector in the INTERNET RG
is costed at * 1.

If I cost E2K7 external Send Connector at 1 then all E2K7 mailboxes will
use it, but both the E2K3 and the E2K7 will have a cost of 2 for E2K3 mailbox
routing.

So, will it be possible that the E2k3 Mbxs may choose to route thru E2K7 to
go external ? Or will they always choose an E2K3 route first when the cost
is the same ?

Thanks,
AC

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:58:46 -0700, Beacowboy
<Beacowboy(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am documenting the cutover plans for a large Exchange 2003 environment to
>Exchange 2007. We plan to establish RGC to the regional E2K3 BH servers but
>not to the AG that provides the External SMTP Connectors which is called
>INTERNET. LINKSTATE has been supressed on all E2K3 in the org.
>
>Inbound External SMTP traffic will initially still route in via the INTERNET
>AG RG, and it will be cutover to route in via the Exchange 2007 Hub Transport
>as soon as it can be arranged.
>
>My question is, how can I best configure the costing so that mailboxes
>transitioned to Exchange 2007 will route only out of the Exchange 2007 SEND
>Connectors and mailboxes not transitioned will continue to use the E2K3
>INTERNET AG connectors.

Why not just scope the Send Connector in Exchange 2007 and the SMTP
Connector in Exchange 2003? If you have a rigid way of dealing with
how e-mail leaves the organization (which you seem to have) it's a lot
easier to just hide the address space from the other routing groups.
This doesn't work if you have a server failure, but given the way you
describe the routing I don't think that matters since a failure of
bridgehead site "INTERNET" stops all external mail flow anyway.

Of course, this all changes in E2K7 and 2010 which use AD sites
instead of RGCs.

>All mailboxes route via their regional BH and each BH RG connects to
>INTERNET AD RG with an RGC and the External SMTP Connector in the INTERNET RG
>is costed at * 1.
>
>If I cost E2K7 external Send Connector at 1 then all E2K7 mailboxes will
>use it, but both the E2K3 and the E2K7 will have a cost of 2 for E2K3 mailbox
>routing.
>
>So, will it be possible that the E2k3 Mbxs may choose to route thru E2K7 to
>go external ? Or will they always choose an E2K3 route first when the cost
>is the same ?

It's important to remember that the cost assigned to an address space
is the last thing considered when chosing a connector. In fact, if the
connector is local to the machine that sends the message, cost isn't
considered at all.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP