From: Phil Hobbs on
Having spent my career trying to keep clear of the low baseband, I now
find myself needing to do very precise measurements of acceleration at
very low frequencies--like 1 nano g (1 microgal, 10**-8 m/s**2) per root
hertz at frequencies from 10**-4 Hz to about 100 Hz. This is an
interesting ride, and will be generating a few discussions here, I hope.

[I bought myself a brass plaque for the wall that says,

DC: The Final Frontier

]

My noise budget is currently dominated by the white noise of a 16-bit
ADC (AD7699), running at 100 kHz to spread the noise out, and
subsequently filtered. (We may add some high frequency dither if it
turns out to be needed.) The DC levels of the signals can be anywhere
in the ADC range, but any large changes will be very slow. I'm
therefore looking at a subranging strategy, with a DAC providing an
offset that gets subtracted off before digitizing, to allow the steps to
be effectively 32x smaller, say.

That sets up today's question: The low-frequency noise behaviour of
most ADC and DAC circuits is dominated by the noise of the voltage
reference, which is almost always really horrible. Using a ratiometric
measurement I can get rid of this, ideally, so I'm left with the
intrinsic 1/f noise of the ADC and DAC.

Does anybody have any wisdom about the intrinsic 1/f noise of ADCs and DACs?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: Joerg on
Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Having spent my career trying to keep clear of the low baseband, I now
> find myself needing to do very precise measurements of acceleration at
> very low frequencies--like 1 nano g (1 microgal, 10**-8 m/s**2) per root
> hertz at frequencies from 10**-4 Hz to about 100 Hz. This is an
> interesting ride, and will be generating a few discussions here, I hope.
>
> [I bought myself a brass plaque for the wall that says,
>
> DC: The Final Frontier

I know an RF guy who isn't into plaques but his would read "It's all
just jittery DC".

> ]
>
> My noise budget is currently dominated by the white noise of a 16-bit
> ADC (AD7699), running at 100 kHz to spread the noise out, and
> subsequently filtered. (We may add some high frequency dither if it
> turns out to be needed.) The DC levels of the signals can be anywhere
> in the ADC range, but any large changes will be very slow. I'm
> therefore looking at a subranging strategy, with a DAC providing an
> offset that gets subtracted off before digitizing, to allow the steps to
> be effectively 32x smaller, say.
>
> That sets up today's question: The low-frequency noise behaviour of
> most ADC and DAC circuits is dominated by the noise of the voltage
> reference, which is almost always really horrible. Using a ratiometric
> measurement I can get rid of this, ideally, so I'm left with the
> intrinsic 1/f noise of the ADC and DAC.
>
> Does anybody have any wisdom about the intrinsic 1/f noise of ADCs and
> DACs?

I don't, but an off-the-cuff question: Can you modulate the input source
so the baseband information rides on a carrier of a few kilohoitzes to
get you out of the 1/f on the receive side?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:22:52 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Having spent my career trying to keep clear of the low baseband, I now
>find myself needing to do very precise measurements of acceleration at
>very low frequencies--like 1 nano g (1 microgal, 10**-8 m/s**2) per root
>hertz at frequencies from 10**-4 Hz to about 100 Hz. This is an
>interesting ride, and will be generating a few discussions here, I hope.
>
>[I bought myself a brass plaque for the wall that says,
>
>DC: The Final Frontier
>
>]
>
>My noise budget is currently dominated by the white noise of a 16-bit
>ADC (AD7699), running at 100 kHz to spread the noise out, and
>subsequently filtered. (We may add some high frequency dither if it
>turns out to be needed.) The DC levels of the signals can be anywhere
>in the ADC range, but any large changes will be very slow. I'm
>therefore looking at a subranging strategy, with a DAC providing an
>offset that gets subtracted off before digitizing, to allow the steps to
>be effectively 32x smaller, say.
>
>That sets up today's question: The low-frequency noise behaviour of
>most ADC and DAC circuits is dominated by the noise of the voltage
>reference, which is almost always really horrible. Using a ratiometric
>measurement I can get rid of this, ideally, so I'm left with the
>intrinsic 1/f noise of the ADC and DAC.
>
>Does anybody have any wisdom about the intrinsic 1/f noise of ADCs and DACs?

Actually, no. I do have the name of the guy at ADI who really knows
the AD7699, and he's been willing to go into the lab and and try stuff
when I had problems.

The 7699 is a charge-balance part so should be pretty good. We're
seeing a couple of LSBs RMS noise out of ours, down to about 0.4 LSB
when digitally filtered at 1 KHz, averaged over a second.

It's a 500 KHz, mux'd ADC. I wonder if digitizing another, reference
sort of channel, would provide any numbers that would be useful in
processing the real samples.

Note that ADC power supply noise will be important. Even the
electrical quality of the SPI lines will start to matter at some
point... everything is on one chip. I wouldn't clock it at all while
it's busy digitizing; you can afford that at 100 KHz.

Thinking about my Audi transmission, you could use three DACs for the
zoom offset: The current one, the next one up, and the next one down.
Lowpass the hell out of all three and switch between them as needed.
The next logical step would be to make your own multiple-output, say,
16-step string dac, with just low-value resistors and a few of mux's,
to make the basic steps per above, and fine-tune them with low noise
dacs.

Hey, make all three signals available (current zoomed signal, next one
up, next one down) and let the ADC mux switch between them all the
time. Then you can splice the crossovers perfectly.

Analog Devices has a new 20-bit DAC that's designed for MRI gradient
driver apps. It probably has low 1/f noise, because that matters for
imaging.

I've seen ghastly popcorn noise, tens of PPM, from supposedly
audiophool-quality CMOS dacs. That can be a nightmare. Some parts will
sit for hours and just occasionally make a few pops.

John

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Phil Hobbs wrote:

> Having spent my career trying to keep clear of the low baseband, I now
> find myself needing to do very precise measurements of acceleration at
> very low frequencies--like 1 nano g (1 microgal, 10**-8 m/s**2) per root
> hertz at frequencies from 10**-4 Hz to about 100 Hz. This is an
> interesting ride, and will be generating a few discussions here, I hope.

I design seismic data acqusition equipment. The frequency range is about
the same as yours.

http://www.abvolt.com/projects_and_solutions/data_acquisition_board.htm

> My noise budget is currently dominated by the white noise of a 16-bit
> ADC (AD7699),

Junk.

> running at 100 kHz to spread the noise out, and
> subsequently filtered. (We may add some high frequency dither if it
> turns out to be needed.) The DC levels of the signals can be anywhere
> in the ADC range, but any large changes will be very slow. I'm
> therefore looking at a subranging strategy, with a DAC providing an
> offset that gets subtracted off before digitizing, to allow the steps to
> be effectively 32x smaller, say.

This is equvalent to highpass filter. There could be better ways for
doing that. With good ADC, there should be enough of linearity and
dynamic range to make the offset step unnecessary.

> That sets up today's question: The low-frequency noise behaviour of
> most ADC and DAC circuits is dominated by the noise of the voltage
> reference, which is almost always really horrible.

It depends. If the reference is external, you can fix the noise.

> Using a ratiometric
> measurement I can get rid of this, ideally, so I'm left with the
> intrinsic 1/f noise of the ADC and DAC.

There is no 1/F in the chopper stabilized ADCs.

> Does anybody have any wisdom about the intrinsic 1/f noise of ADCs and
> DACs?

Check ADS1282 from TI. This state of the art ADC has the noise floor of
~5nv/root(Hz) all the way down to DC. Total dynamic range ~ 133dB
(yes, thus is true number).

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:

[...]

> I've seen ghastly popcorn noise, tens of PPM, from supposedly
> audiophool-quality CMOS dacs. That can be a nightmare. Some parts will
> sit for hours and just occasionally make a few pops.

When diagnosing this sort of stuff I found that one needs a really quiet
environment. A screen room may be enough (most of the time).

One company had such "pops", every so many seconds. Frustrating,
couldn't find it because how do you trigger anything on that? Gazing out
the window, thinking hard ... "What's that occasional reflection on that
hill towards the horizon way over there?" ... "Oh, that's nothing, just
some military radar, oh wait, s..t!"