From: dirtrhoads on
Hello,

I am creating a shipping and logistics database in Access 2007 to keep track
of sales, inventory, shipping costs, etc.

We have 4 warehouses that handle shipping to distributors. I am probably
making this more complicated than necessary, but this is tripping me up in
designing the query that I want... I have an orders table, order details
table (Lists each product per order individually), a warehouse table that
lists each of our warehouses (this could possibly increase in the future), a
products table which lists each individual product, and a customer table.

I need to track the inventory in and out of each warehouse per order and I
just need help getting started.
From: Steve on
Can different items be shipped out of different warehouses to fill an order?
If yes, where do you enter which warehouse is to ship each item?

Steve
santus(a)penn.com

From: dirtrhoads on
On my Orders table, I have a shipped_via combo box so that I can select the
warehouse from the warehouse table...

From: Fred on
That's a huge task, and typically 2/3 of the job of doing it is creating and
implementing the business procedures and only 1/3 of it is the databasing.

You best first step is to shut the database off and write down the real word
procedures that will be used to track inventory.

99% of the time when someone says "track" they mean that all transactions
will update the total. If so, start by defining what inventory you want to
track (e.g is each ;location a separate inventory?, are you tracking totals
by part number or individualized items [like individual automobiles] )

Assuming it's transaction based, then the nextg step is to list every typ of
transaction that might modify inventory, and how you intent to capture that
data.

We;;, that's a start.

From: dirtrhoads on
I have already done that, however, I think I figured out where to start at
least. I am setting up my order status queries now to reflect inventory on
backorder, allocated, shipped, etc... so I will start there but I may need
future help with the actual calculations but it seems to be falling together
in my head now. I currently have the real world process, just in Excel which
is really a timely process.

Thank you very much for your help.