From: Anindya G on
Hello,

I am a newbie in higher-order spectra analysis. Please excuse me if
anything appears really incoherent in my question.

Some of my initial readings suggest that for a Gaussian signal, its
bispectrum is zero. In this connection, suppose I have an additive
mixture of Gaussian and Non-Gaussian signals and I take the bispectrum
of this mixture. Then the bispectrum of Gaussian signal being zero, I
should only have the bispectrum of the non-Gaissian signal as the
final result. Is it now possible to take the inverse of this
bispectrum and recover the non-Gaussian signal? Is there something
called "Inverse Bispectrum"?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. If there is some recommended
reading in this filtering process, please do suggest.

Regards,

Anindya G.
From: illywhacker on
On Jun 21, 10:15 pm, Anindya G <kamaskar1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of my initial readings suggest that for a Gaussian signal, its
> bispectrum is zero. In this connection, suppose I have an additive
> mixture of Gaussian and Non-Gaussian signals and I take the bispectrum
> of this mixture. Then the bispectrum of Gaussian signal being zero, I
> should only have the bispectrum of the non-Gaissian signal as the
> final result. Is it now possible to take the inverse of this
> bispectrum and recover the non-Gaussian signal? Is there something
> called "Inverse Bispectrum"?
>
> Any insight will be greatly appreciated. If there is some recommended
> reading in this filtering process, please do suggest.

Be careful not to confuse two different things. Thr first are
properties of a probability distribution (e.g. the second- and third-
order cumulants). The second are properties of an individual signal
(e.g the covariance and the bispectrum). The latter are frequently
estimates of the former, but they are not the same. A Gaussian
distribution has vanishing higher-order cumulants. Any given signal,
however, even if simulated from a Gaussian distribution, will not in
general have vanishing bispectrum, although probably it will be
'small' in some sense.

So, if you compute the bispectrum of your signal, the contribution of
the Gaussian part will probably be small. The bispectrum is thus some
kind of an estimate of the third-order cumulant of the probability
distribution for the second, non-Gaussian component of your signal. On
its own, however, it does not permit to reconstruct this distribution
in a strict sense (unless you have a model in which it is the only
unknown parameter). You could use the information as part of a maximum
entropy procedure, though.

This does not seem to be what you are asking, however. You seem to
want to reconstruct the signal itself. This is possible. See this
wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_correlation

for discussion of, and references to, the uniqueness of a function
given its bispectrum.

illywhacker;