From: Gordon Darling on
<http://www.marketwatch.com/story/investment-in-open-source-software-set-
to-rise-accenture-survey-finds-2010-08-05?reflink=MW_news_stmp>

"The open source software market has reached a turning point, with
organizations in the United States, United Kingdom and Ireland now
committing to clear strategies and policies for open source software
development. According to the findings of a survey released today by
Accenture (ACN 40.57, +0.30, +0.74%) , more than two-thirds of
organizations
(69 percent) anticipate increased investment in 2010, with more than a
third (38 percent) expecting to migrate mission-critical software to open
source in the next twelve months.

The survey of 300 large organizations in both the private and public
sector found that half of the respondents (50 percent) are fully
committed to open source in their business while almost a third (28
percent) say they are experimenting with open source and keeping an open
mind to using it. Furthermore, two-thirds of all respondents (65 percent)
noted that they have a fully documented strategic approach for using open
source in their business, while another third (32 percent) are developing
a strategic plan. Of the organizations using open source, almost nine out
of ten (88 percent) will increase their investment in the software in
2010 compared to 2009.

"What we are seeing is the coming of age of open source," said Paul
Daugherty, chief technology architect, Accenture. "Through both our
research and our work with clients, we are seeing an increase in demand
for open source based on quality, reliability and speed, not just cost
savings. This is a significant change from just two years ago when uptake
was driven mainly by cost savings. We can expect to see this trend
develop as open source continues to evolve and address even more business
critical functions...................."

Regards
Gordon

--