From: kenseto on
Is Length Contraction in SR physical??
According the most informed SRian, Tom Roberts, the answer to this
question is NO. His answer is that length contraction is the geometric
projection effect of the length of a moving meter stick onto the SR
observer's frame. When a moving meter stick rejoins the stay at home
meter stick they will have the same physical length. Furthermore if
length contraction is physically real how come SR does not predict
length expansion? Is that becasue SR assumes that the observer is in a
state of absolute rest?

So what does it mean when SR says that a moving meter stick is
contracted?
The answer:
1. An SR observer assumes that the light path length of his meter
stick is the same as the physical length of his meter stick.
2. Using this standard the light path length of a meter stick moving
wrt an SR observer is shorter than the light path length of the stay
at home meter stick. Why? Because light generated at the front end of
the stick will reach the rear end of the stick sooner for a moving
meter stick (c+v) according to the stay at home SR observer.
3. So according to the SR observer the light path length of a moving
meter stick is as follows:
L' = L_o/gamma.
4. The above interpretation avoids all the paradoxes that arise due
the bogus interpretation that a moving meter stick is physically
contracted.

However, the above interpretation is incomplete. Why? Because the
light path length of a meter stick moving wrt the observer may be
longer than the observer's meter stick. In that case the light path
length of such meter stick is calculated as follows:
L' = L_o(gamma)
This interpretation is included in a new theory of relativity called
Improved Relativity Theory (IRT). IRT includes SRT as subset.
However,
the equations of IRT are valid in all environments, including
gravity.
A complete description of IRT is available in the following link:
http://www.modelmechanics.org/2008irt.dtg.pdf

Ken Seto

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.
From: Igor on
On Feb 1, 9:55 am, "kens...(a)erinet.com" <kens...(a)erinet.com> wrote:
> Is Length Contraction in SR physical??
> According the most informed SRian, Tom Roberts, the answer to this
> question is NO. His answer is that length contraction is the geometric
> projection effect of the length of a moving meter stick onto the SR
> observer's frame. When a moving meter stick rejoins the stay at home
> meter stick they will have the same physical length. Furthermore if
> length contraction is physically real how come SR does not predict
> length expansion? Is that becasue SR assumes that the observer is in a
> state of absolute rest?

When people walk away from me, they appear to get smaller. Is that
physical? And no matter which direction, they walk away from me, they
always get smaller. How come nature doesn't allow them to appear to
get bigger?

From: eric gisse on
kenseto(a)erinet.com wrote:

> Is Length Contraction in SR physical??

No, just as it has been explained to you repeatedly since the mid 90's.

[...]
From: Dirk Van de moortel on
Igor <thoovler(a)excite.com> wrote in message
36f39b8d-b930-487a-9a3d-fbfae25c24ea(a)g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com
> On Feb 1, 9:55 am, "kens...(a)erinet.com" <kens...(a)erinet.com> wrote:
>> Is Length Contraction in SR physical??
>> According the most informed SRian, Tom Roberts, the answer to this
>> question is NO. His answer is that length contraction is the geometric
>> projection effect of the length of a moving meter stick onto the SR
>> observer's frame. When a moving meter stick rejoins the stay at home
>> meter stick they will have the same physical length. Furthermore if
>> length contraction is physically real how come SR does not predict
>> length expansion? Is that becasue SR assumes that the observer is in a
>> state of absolute rest?
>>

> When people walk away from me, they appear to get smaller. Is that
> physical? And no matter which direction, they walk away from me, they
> always get smaller. How come nature doesn't allow them to appear to
> get bigger?

When Chuck Norris walks away from you, he appears to get bigger.

Dirk Vdm
From: PD on
On Feb 1, 8:55 am, "kens...(a)erinet.com" <kens...(a)erinet.com> wrote:
> Is Length Contraction in SR physical??
> According the most informed SRian, Tom Roberts, the answer to this
> question is NO.

Two comments:
1. You are taking a survey among those people that choose to respond
to you on sci.physics, a hobbyist newsgroup. Tom is one of a few
physicists that frequents the newsgroup. This may make him one of the
better informed people about SR *on this newsgroup*, but it by no
means indicates that he is "the most informed SRian", any more than if
you took a survey of who was the tallest person on your block in
Xenia, that this person would be the tallest person in Ohio.
2. Secondly, he did NOT say that the length contraction is not
physical. What he did say is that the word "physical" has an ambiguous
meaning at best and does not mean what you think it means. What he did
say is that physics deals with what is MEASURED, and what is measured
is therefore physical in that sense. It was you and ONLY you that said
that if it is a geometric effect (which it is), then it CANNOT be
called a physical effect. Tom did not make that statement. You did.