From: Igor Pirnovar on
Thank you, for your suggestions. Roger, yours might be particularly
insightful. However, I am more interested in pure X.org, GTK, GNOME and
Cairo versions. It is likely that these will catch up with Apple's far
too long domination in this area, within a year or so. With all due
respect to multitude of choices, one can find for Ruby GUIs, I strongly
believe the only one that has a chance to minimiye if not eliminate
Apple's domination is Ruby/Gtk/GNOME on native Linux platforms. But
currently there are far too many discrepancies and bugs in Ruby Gtk
implementation. When, more than a year ago, I was writing the "Ruby/GTK2
Tutorial" (http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?tut-gtk) I
discovered many problems in Ruby implementation. You can find most of
the trouble areas in the tutorial table of contents, which I marked with
the exclamation mark signs. I think time has come, to address these
problems, and I am looking for ways to get involved in trying to help
and if possible contribute to the project. However, I am afraid, that
the spirit of the nineties is gone, and what Thomas Sawyer (7rans) said
perfectly exposes the spirit which represents an undeniable problem.

Because of this I believe, that today we would have much better chances
of getting anything done under the umbrella of a well coordinated semi
commercial effort, as Thomas has hinted. But in that case, we'd be
better off addressing also the question of modernising X, and perhaps
take it over from the IBM & Co. bunch, who I believe are doing far too
little in this respect. I am very much in favour of getting Ubuntu's
Mark Shuttleworth involved. It should not be hard to convince him, that
a Ruby is more superior and a better fit to handle GUI as well as OS
maintenance, and indeed development issues than Python. There should be
enough evidence of that. I believe a strong case could be built on what
I hinted in my opening statement. Namely, that Cocoa's design is
superior to that of X.org / Gtk. Particularly important fact here is
that Ruby feels very natural and far better implementation language than
Objective-C in that environment. A language like Ruby, would eliminate
most of the unnecessary clutter in Cocoa Foundation library. Also Cairo
should be made integral part of X or Gtk. I guess I am advocating a
substantial rewrites in both Ruby and X, to reflect on the superior
Cocoa design and particularly adopting many of its design patterns, but
avoid the unnecessary complexity, Apple created coupling Cocoa with the
external requirements imposed by the Interface Builder.