From: David Kaye on
Does anybody know if there's an API call for selecting AC versus battery power
in a laptop, or is this done via BIOS firmware or something? If it is an API
call, doesn't anybody know which library is called and the name of the
function(s)?

From: Helmut Meukel on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Does anybody know if there's an API call for selecting AC versus battery power
> in a laptop, or is this done via BIOS firmware or something? If it is an API
> call, doesn't anybody know which library is called and the name of the
> function(s)?

I don't think the OS is involved. I doubt even the BIOS is involved.
This must work without the CPU active. So it's hardwired in the power supply,
to preserve battery capacity it uses AC whenever it's available.

Helmut.

From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on

"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> schreef in bericht
> "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Does anybody know if there's an API call for selecting AC versus battery
>> power
>> in a laptop, or is this done via BIOS firmware or something? If it is an
>> API
>> call, doesn't anybody know which library is called and the name of the
>> function(s)?
>>

> I don't think the OS is involved. I doubt even the BIOS is involved.
> This must work without the CPU active. So it's hardwired in the power
> supply,
> to preserve battery capacity it uses AC whenever it's available.
>
> Helmut.

Helmut has a verry good point

if it is detection you are after , someone whe know in this groups has
written a nice article about that
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2010/01/05/monitoring-system-power-status.aspx

regards
Michel

From: David Kaye on
"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:

>I don't think the OS is involved. I doubt even the BIOS is involved.
>This must work without the CPU active. So it's hardwired in the power supply,
>to preserve battery capacity it uses AC whenever it's available.

With a Toshiba laptop, for instance, you can set the "power profile" so that
more power is used for the charging the battery or for running the computer or
is split between them. This led me to believe that there might be something
one could control via software, though I realize what I'm talking about is
different from whether the computer uses battery or AC.