From: Emile van Sebille on
On 7/17/2010 9:38 AM Gary Herron said...
> and unrelated to the thread but still about python:
>
> http://xkcd.com/353/

ActivePython 2.6.1.1 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Dec 5 2008, 13:58:38) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
>>> import antigravity
Nothing happens.

Emile

From: Emile van Sebille on
On 7/16/2010 7:08 PM MRAB said...
> Peng Yu wrote:

>>> You might find my Python symbol glossary useful.
>>> https://code.google.com/p/xploro/downloads/detail?name=PySymbols.html
>>
>> This is for Python 3. Is there one for Python 2.x?
>>
> Is anyone /still/ using Python 2.x? ;-)

Is anyone /actually/ using Python 3.x ;-)

Emile

From: Emile van Sebille on
On 7/17/2010 10:57 AM Benjamin Kaplan said...
> Try it in Python 3.

Cool. :)

Although I wouldn't have been surprised had my monitor levitated. :)

Emile

From: Thomas Jollans on
On 07/17/2010 04:59 AM, python(a)bdurham.com wrote:
> Tim,
>
>> 2.x?! You were lucky. We lived for three months with Python 1.x in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, write our 1.x code using ed, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down in machine language, fourteen hours a day,
> week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad
> would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt...
>
> Luxury. Our computers only had 256 bytes[1] of RAM and We had to enter
> our code, in the dark, using loose binary toggle switches with poor
> connections. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in
> the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at
> the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat
> us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
>
> [1] http://incolor.inebraska.com/bill_r/elf/html/elf-1-33.htm

In slightly related news, I just stumbled upon this:

http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html

Now of course, he had it tough.
From: python on
Thomas,

> In slightly related news, I just stumbled upon this:
> http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html
>
> Now of course, he had it tough.

Tough???

Well we had it tough. Our computers[1][2] had 0 bytes of RAM and 0 bytes
of ROM. We had to hand wire our logic and physically push data through
logic gates without the benefit of transistors. We used to have to get
up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road
clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel,
worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six
years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread
knife.

Malcolm

[1] http://totallytrygve.com/computer.php?item=188&picture=0

[2] I learned about computers through one of these kits. When I first
stumbled across assembly language (6502), my first thought was, "wow,
this is so much easier than what I've been doing"!

<snipped>
>> 2.x?! You were lucky. We lived for three months with Python 1.x in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, write our 1.x code using ed, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down in machine language, fourteen hours a day,
> week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad
> would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt...
>
> Luxury. Our computers only had 256 bytes[1] of RAM and We had to enter
> our code, in the dark, using loose binary toggle switches with poor
> connections. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in
> the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at
> the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat
> us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
>
> [1] http://incolor.inebraska.com/bill_r/elf/html/elf-1-33.htm

In slightly related news, I just stumbled upon this:

http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html

Now of course, he had it tough.
</snipped>