From: John Christiansen on

"nuny(a)bid.nes" <alien8752(a)gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
On Aug 1, 10:17 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> Since a force is a net pressure, and the textbooks say that weight
> is a force, a gram is a unit of weight and force. Another unit of
> force is a dyne. The textbook definition of a dyne is �a �dyne� is
> that force which will produce an acceleration of 1 cm per second per
> second when acting on a mass of 1 gram". ("Mass" denotes a quantity of
> matter. As such, it too is a dimension.)
> Though the quantity of atomic matter in different bodies is
> proportionate to their respective weight, unstructured matter [now
> called "dark matter"] has no weight. A gram, however, is a quantity of
> weight, which is a force. Therefore a gram and an ounce are the wrong
> units of measure for a quantity of matter!

Where's Don Shead when we *really* need him? Even he got this right.

Mark L. Fergerson

Dense Donny didn't always get that right. He had difficulties seeing that
mass in laymans terms is called weight.

John Christiansen.

From: nuny on
On Aug 3, 8:28 am, "John Christiansen" <superkae...(a)mail1.stofanet.dk>
wrote:
> "n...(a)bid.nes" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelsenews:064c5f77-d890-4f19-a52f-36600c11d724(a)h17g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
> On Aug 1, 10:17 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Since a force is a net pressure, and the textbooks say that weight
> > is a force, a gram is a unit of weight and force. Another unit of
> > force is a dyne. The textbook definition of a dyne is “a ‘dyne’ is
> > that force which will produce an acceleration of 1 cm per second per
> > second when acting on a mass of 1 gram". ("Mass" denotes a quantity of
> > matter. As such, it too is a dimension.)
> > Though the quantity of atomic matter in different bodies is
> > proportionate to their respective weight, unstructured matter [now
> > called "dark matter"] has no weight. A gram, however, is a quantity of
> > weight, which is a force. Therefore a gram and an ounce are the wrong
> > units of measure for a quantity of matter!
>
>   Where's Don Shead when we *really* need him? Even he got this right.
>
>   Mark L. Fergerson
>
> Dense Donny didn't always get that right. He had difficulties seeing that
> mass in  laymans terms is called weight.

He eventually did, when the difference between a spring scale and a
balance scale finally got pounded through his skull.

Mark L. Fergerson

From: jmfbahciv on
nuny(a)bid.nes wrote:
> On Aug 1, 10:17 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>>  Since a force is a net pressure, and the textbooks say that weight
>> is a force, a gram is a unit of weight and force.  Another unit of
>> force is a dyne. The textbook definition of a dyne is “a 'dyne' is
>> that force which will produce an acceleration of 1 cm per second per
>> second when acting on a mass of 1 gram". ("Mass" denotes a quantity of
>> matter. As such, it too is a dimension.)
>>   Though the quantity of atomic matter in different bodies is
>> proportionate to their respective weight, unstructured matter [now
>> called "dark matter"] has no weight. A gram, however, is a quantity of
>> weight, which is a force.  Therefore a gram and an ounce are the wrong
>> units of measure for a quantity of matter!
>
> Where's Don Shead when we *really* need him? Even he got this right.

ROTFLMAO.

/BAH
From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/8/10 1:18 PM, Chazwin wrote:

> There is no such thing as pure iron. In practical terms mass and
> weight are the same thing. That is why a lb of weight at sea level is
> identical to the mass of the same object.

Mass has units of mass, whereas weight has units of force.