From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Jonathan Gardner:
> On Feb 10, 3:23 pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm wondering there is already a function in python library that can
>> merge intervals. For example, if I have the following intervals ('['
>> and ']' means closed interval as inhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_(mathematics)#Excluding_the_end...)
>>
>> [1, 3]
>> [2, 9]
>> [10,13]
>> [11,12]
>>
>> I want to get the following merged intervals.
>>
>> [1,9]
>> [10,13]
>>
>> Could somebody let me know if there is a function in the python
>> library?
>
> I vaguely recall a similar question a long time ago. Peng, is this a
> homework assignment?
>
> Perhaps we should add a standard module called "homework". It can have
> functions for all the different homework assignments we see on
> c.l.python. We can simply point people to this module and then can
> include the code in their answers.

If it's possible, there was/is this guy over in clc.c++ who responded/responds
to homework questions with the most advanced, convoluted and, except for
misleading names, technically correct solutions.

Cheers,

- Alf
From: Peter on
On Feb 12, 8:03 am, Jonathan Gardner <jgard...(a)jonathangardner.net>
wrote:
> On Feb 10, 3:23 pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm wondering there is already a function in python library that can
> > merge intervals. For example, if I have the following intervals ('['
> > and ']' means closed interval as inhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_(mathematics)#Excluding_the_end...)
>
> > [1, 3]
> > [2, 9]
> > [10,13]
> > [11,12]
>
> > I want to get the following merged intervals.
>
> > [1,9]
> > [10,13]
>
> > Could somebody let me know if there is a function in the python
> > library?
>
> I vaguely recall a similar question a long time ago. Peng, is this a
> homework assignment?
>
> Perhaps we should add a standard module called "homework". It can have
> functions for all the different homework assignments we see on
> c.l.python. We can simply point people to this module and then can
> include the code in their answers.

Good idea - that would (also) give the teachers a convenient place to
check for what assignments have been solved by this list so they can
propose something else.

They can also grade the submissions against the code kept in this area
- exact copies could receive an "F" (for example :-))

Peter
From: Nobody on
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 23:03:29 -0500, Steve Holden wrote:

>> intervals = sorted(intervals, key = lambda x: x[0])
>
> Since Python uses lexical sorting and the intervals are lists isn't the
> key specification redundant here?

Yes, but I wanted to make it explicit.

Well, omitting the key= would change the sorting order in the event that
multiple intervals have the same start, but it still won't affect the
result of the function overall.