From: Michael B Allen on
I need to encrypt some data and give the password to an escrow
attorney so that only under certain conditions (e.g. dirt nap) a list
of beneficiaries will have the ability to recover this data. But I am
going to make the encrypted package publicly available along with the
source code of the decryption program. So I need the encryption method
used to be particularly good.

My first thought is to simply encrypt the data multiple times using
different algorithms and key sizes (e.g. AES128 -> RC4 -> AES256)
using different segments of a randomly generated 32 character
alphanumeric password. The rational is that if / when an algorithm is
broken, the enclosed encrypted layer would look random and thus not
give the attacker any feedback as to their success. They would have to
successfully crack all layers simultaneously. Is this reasoning valid?

Mike
From: Andrew Poelstra on
On 2010-01-12, Michael B Allen <ioplex(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to encrypt some data and give the password to an escrow
> attorney so that only under certain conditions (e.g. dirt nap) a list
> of beneficiaries will have the ability to recover this data. But I am
> going to make the encrypted package publicly available along with the
> source code of the decryption program. So I need the encryption method
> used to be particularly good.
>
> My first thought is to simply encrypt the data multiple times using
> different algorithms and key sizes (e.g. AES128 -> RC4 -> AES256)
> using different segments of a randomly generated 32 character
> alphanumeric password. The rational is that if / when an algorithm is
> broken, the enclosed encrypted layer would look random and thus not
> give the attacker any feedback as to their success. They would have to
> successfully crack all layers simultaneously. Is this reasoning valid?
>
> Mike

My first reaction would be that XOR'ing twice still gets you an XOR -
except that the attacker, once he found the key, would be able to
decrypt twice as fast as you could encrypt!

But I'm not sure how much that applies with multiple algorithms.

From: biject on
On Jan 12, 12:06 pm, Michael B Allen <iop...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to encrypt some data and give the password to an escrow
> attorney so that only under certain conditions (e.g. dirt nap) a list
> of beneficiaries will have the ability to recover this data. But I am
> going to make the encrypted package publicly available along with the
> source code of the decryption program. So I need the encryption method
> used to be particularly good.
>
> My first thought is to simply encrypt the data multiple times using
> different algorithms and key sizes (e.g. AES128 -> RC4 -> AES256)
> using different segments of a randomly generated 32 character
> alphanumeric password. The rational is that if / when an algorithm is
> broken, the enclosed encrypted layer would look random and thus not
> give the attacker any feedback as to their success. They would have to
> successfully crack all layers simultaneously. Is this reasoning valid?
>
> Mike

If your going to use AES anyway why not encrypt pass one
with BiCOM that do a BWTS pass followed by a pass
of BICOM a second time with new key then a pass of
UNBWTS and lastly another BICOM pass with 3rd key.
The advantage being each pass bijective so no headers
or like stuff added. This would be very secure even if
AES is not as string as we think plus the the bijective
BWT would mix the data very well.

David A. Scott
--
My Crypto code
http://bijective.dogma.net/crypto/scott19u.zip
From: Maaartin on
> On 2010-01-12, Michael B Allen <iop...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I need to encrypt some data and give the password to an escrow
> > attorney so that only under certain conditions (e.g. dirt nap) a list
> > of beneficiaries will have the ability to recover this data. But I am
> > going to make the encrypted package publicly available along with the
> > source code of the decryption program. So I need the encryption method
> > used to be particularly good.
>
> > My first thought is to simply encrypt the data multiple times using
> > different algorithms and key sizes (e.g. AES128 -> RC4 -> AES256)
> > using different segments of a randomly generated 32 character
> > alphanumeric password.

This for sure is a very bad idea. Have a look at password based
encryption and generating multiple keys from a single master key.

> > The rational is that if / when an algorithm is
> > broken, the enclosed encrypted layer would look random and thus not
> > give the attacker any feedback as to their success. They would have to
> > successfully crack all layers simultaneously. Is this reasoning valid?

Not really, see the end of
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/browse_thread/thread/f7b4b43375df0489

> On 2010-01-12, Michael B Allen <iop...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> My first reaction would be that XOR'ing twice still gets you an XOR -
> except that the attacker, once he found the key, would be able to
> decrypt twice as fast as you could encrypt!
>
> But I'm not sure how much that applies with multiple algorithms.

Not all ciphers work by xoring, in particular, AES does not.
Moreover, even xoring with two keystreams could make the cipher
stronger than a single such cipher. This is surely true for some
trivial weak ciphers.
From: Sebastian Garth on
On Jan 12, 11:06 am, Michael B Allen <iop...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to encrypt some data and give the password to an escrow
> attorney so that only under certain conditions (e.g. dirt nap) a list
> of beneficiaries will have the ability to recover this data. But I am
> going to make the encrypted package publicly available along with the
> source code of the decryption program. So I need the encryption method
> used to be particularly good.
>
> My first thought is to simply encrypt the data multiple times using
> different algorithms and key sizes (e.g. AES128 -> RC4 -> AES256)
> using different segments of a randomly generated 32 character
> alphanumeric password. The rational is that if / when an algorithm is
> broken, the enclosed encrypted layer would look random and thus not
> give the attacker any feedback as to their success. They would have to
> successfully crack all layers simultaneously. Is this reasoning valid?
>
> Mike

Short answer: probably...but it would likely be overkill. Running the
data through, say, a 4096-bit RSA would be more than sufficient. If in
doubt, though, just increase the key length.