From: Pegasus [MVP] on

<hello(a)goodbye.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a computer that presently dual boots to XP and Win98.
> The computer owner wants to keep both of them, but also wants to
> install Ubantu or another Linux distro. Is it possible to triple
> boot? Yea, I know that requires 3 partitions, and the puter has four
> of them (2 40g drives, 2 partitions each). Right now, 98 is on C: XP
> on D:. So, I guess Linux would go on E: if this is possible.
>
> Thanks

I depends on the boot loader you use. Some such as XOSL can handle as many
as you can set up partitions (primary or logical). Since you intend to
install Ubuntu you should look at Grub and get detailed advice from a Grub.
Note also that the Windows boot loader is about as basic as they come. A
good boot loader should be able to selectively hide partitions from each
other, which Windows can't.

If you put the words
grub boot loader hide partitions
into a Google search box then you will get plenty of good links.

From: DrTeeth on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:45:05 -0500, just as I was about to take a
herb, hello(a)goodbye.com disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Why would anyone want to HIDE a partition?

I forget which way round it is, but of one version of windows can see
another, it will delete the restore points.

There are other reasons as well. The best tool on the whole fecking
planet is BOOTiTNG from Terabytes Unlimited. Once can have more than
200 primary partitions per disk if one wants. So much tidier than
futzing about with Extended partitions.

A steep learning curve, but when you can plant that flag ion the
summit you will be the master of the best. When installing Linux, you
much install grub/Lilo in the root partition if the Linux setup and
NOT the disk's MBR.
--

Cheers,

DrT

From: Gord Dibben on
2 drives..........40g each........that's 80g

2 partitions per drive at 20g each

3 OSes

Doesn't sound like a heck of a lotta room.

Gord

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

> On Sun, 16 May 2010 00:27:38 +0200, "Pegasus [MVP]"
> <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>><hello(a)goodbye.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm working on a computer that presently dual boots to XP and Win98.
>>> The computer owner wants to keep both of them, but also wants to
>>> install Ubantu or another Linux distro. Is it possible to triple
>>> boot? Yea, I know that requires 3 partitions, and the puter has four
>>> of them (2 40g drives, 2 partitions each). Right now, 98 is on C: XP
>>> on D:. So, I guess Linux would go on E: if this is possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>>I depends on the boot loader you use. Some such as XOSL can handle as many
>>as you can set up partitions (primary or logical). Since you intend to
>>install Ubuntu you should look at Grub and get detailed advice from a
>>Grub.
>>Note also that the Windows boot loader is about as basic as they come. A
>>good boot loader should be able to selectively hide partitions from each
>>other, which Windows can't.
>>
>>If you put the words
>>grub boot loader hide partitions
>>into a Google search box then you will get plenty of good links.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> I'll search the web for this, but just a couple questions.
>
> Is "Grub" included with Ubantu, or a separate program? (I really know
> little about linux, I'm just going to install it for someone since
> they want it).

It's actually "Ubuntu", not "Ubantu", and you should ask questions
about it in an Ubuntu forum. I know next to nothing about it.

> Why would anyone want to HIDE a partition? I can understand not
> wanting or needing to see (for example), the linux files, when running
> Windows, but that partition can still be used to store other files,
> such as photos or MP3s, which would be desired to be accessed from all
> OSs. Otherwise it seems like there would be lots of wasted drive
> space as well as the inability to access "common files" such as .JPGs,
> .MP3s, .TXT files, etc from EVERY OS.

Even with single booting it is good practice to have one partition for
your OS and apps and another for your data. When multi-booting this
becomes compulsory: Have each OS on its own partition which you
hide from all the other OS in order to eliminate interference and in
order to have the System drive always visible as drive C. You then
have one further partition for your data that you share among the
various OSs.

Note also that installing several OSs on a single machine in a proper
and sustainable manner requires a bit of practice. Trying to create
such an environment without practice will most likely end up in
disaster. If this was my show then I would do this:
1. Buy a much larger disk.
2. Use a cloning tool to transfer the existing OSs to the new disk.
3. Play with the chosen boot manager.
4. Back to Step 2 each time I wreck the installation.
5. When on top of the technique, deliver a robust solution.

This will obviously take a bit of time.

From: dadiOH on
hello(a)goodbye.com wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 00:27:38 +0200, "Pegasus [MVP]"
> <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>> <hello(a)goodbye.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm working on a computer that presently dual boots to XP and Win98.
>>> The computer owner wants to keep both of them, but also wants to
>>> install Ubantu or another Linux distro. Is it possible to triple
>>> boot? Yea, I know that requires 3 partitions, and the puter has
>>> four of them (2 40g drives, 2 partitions each). Right now, 98 is
>>> on C: XP on D:. So, I guess Linux would go on E: if this is
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I depends on the boot loader you use. Some such as XOSL can handle
>> as many as you can set up partitions (primary or logical). Since you
>> intend to install Ubuntu you should look at Grub and get detailed
>> advice from a Grub. Note also that the Windows boot loader is about
>> as basic as they come. A good boot loader should be able to
>> selectively hide partitions from each other, which Windows can't.
>>
>> If you put the words
>> grub boot loader hide partitions
>> into a Google search box then you will get plenty of good links.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> I'll search the web for this, but just a couple questions.
>
> Is "Grub" included with Ubantu, or a separate program? (I really know
> little about linux, I'm just going to install it for someone since
> they want it).

The one time I installed an Ubuntu distro GRUB was automatic. I found it a
PITA as it sets up its own boot in the MBR and that gives you a menu. If
you select a Windows OS you then get a second boot menu (the one for
Windows). That may not be true if you have only one Windows install, don't
know, but I had no desire to have to deal with two menus

Regardless of one or more Windows installs, if you decide to dump LINUX/GRUB
your MBR is still messed up and *you* have to fix it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...