From: aspfun via SQLMonster.com on
I was assigned to upgrade one program from Access(using ODBC to connect to
SQL 2000) to ASP.NET(using store procedure in SQL 2000).
Finally, I tested them and found that ASP.NET is slower than Access.
The mojority job of program is select some data from SQL 2000 tables, modify
and then insert into some tables.
Is store procedure always fast than Access linked table via ODBC?

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Stored procedures don't add any overhead and they can save compile time.
It's the code in the stored procedure and the underlying tables / indexes
that will dictate performance. It's impossible to say what might be the
problem without at least seeing the code you have in the sp.

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: aspfun via SQLMonster.com on
Andrew J. Kelly wrote:
>Stored procedures don't add any overhead and they can save compile time.
>It's the code in the stored procedure and the underlying tables / indexes
>that will dictate performance. It's impossible to say what might be the
>problem without at least seeing the code you have in the sp.
>
>> I was assigned to upgrade one program from Access(using ODBC to connect to
>> SQL 2000) to ASP.NET(using store procedure in SQL 2000).
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> and then insert into some tables.
>> Is store procedure always fast than Access linked table via ODBC?

I found out the difference in first step:
In Access, there are three make table query which will link to SQL table and
then make theree temp table in local within mdb file. It took only 1-2
seconds.
But, in store procedure, I code to create three temp tables (with #) and then
insert the same data as Access into these three tables. It took about 5-8
seconds.
Am I doing wrong? Is there another way instead of temp table?

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Again its impossible to tell without seeing the actual code. I have no idea
what you are trying to do and why you need the temp tables at all.