From: Reid Thompson on
Is anyone aware of a current binding to libevent?
I've been unable to google one up.

Thanks,
reid

From: Tony Arcieri on

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Reid Thompson <reid.thompson(a)ateb.com>wrote:

> Is anyone aware of a current binding to libevent?

Rev is a binding to libev, which is similar to libevent, but faster:

http://github.com/tarcieri/rev

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Rein Henrichs on
On 2010-06-14 08:17:51 -0700, Tony Arcieri said:

> [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Reid Thompson <reid.thompson(a)ateb.com>wrote:
>
>> Is anyone aware of a current binding to libevent?
>>

> Rev is a binding to libev, which is similar to libevent, but faster:
>
> http://github.com/tarcieri/rev

You may also want to check out EventMachine[1], a similar event-driven
system that seems to be the current de facto standard and is the basis
for a number of popular gems including rest-client[2].

[1] http://rubyeventmachine.com/
[2] http://github.com/archiloque/rest-client

--
Rein Henrichs
http://puppetlabs.com

From: Dominic Sisneros on

> > Is anyone aware of a current binding to libevent?
> >

> Rev is a binding to libev, which is similar to libevent, but faster:

Yes, but the newer version of libevent is going to have IOCP support in
windows so might be better for a mult-platform base event library

From: Roger Pack on
Dominic Sisneros wrote:
>> > Is anyone aware of a current binding to libevent?
>> >

>> Rev is a binding to libev, which is similar to libevent, but faster:
>>

> Yes, but the newer version of libevent is going to have IOCP support in
> windows so might be better for a mult-platform base event library

libevent bindings would be nice, for just that reason. I also have this
gut feeling that eventmachine isn't as fast as a "finely tuned" event
implementation could be.

I even added a bounty for it:
http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/ruby-bounties#libevent

Enjoy.