From: Colin Bartlett on
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Mike Stok <mike(a)stok.ca> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Colin Bartlett wrote:
>> In the past I have done something like:
>>  Float::NaN = 0.0 / 0.0      #=> NaN
>>  Float::Infinity = 3.0 / 1.0   #=> Infinity
>
> That's a pretty small infinity :-)
>
> Mike

Well, us wot have studied maffematics can deal with LOADS of infinitys!
Or, in other words, oops!
Yes that should have been
Float::Infinity = 3.0 / 0.0   #=> Infinity

Alex DeCaria to ruby-talk wrote:
>> I'm curious: which languages have a -NaN value and why would you want
>> to use it instead of just NaN?
> I do a lot of my scientific programming in IDL. It allows explicit
> assignment of NaN and -NaN to floating point variables, as well as
> returns -NaN under certain circumstances. IDL is used for a lot of
> image processing, and being able to have NaN and/or -NaN is useful as a
> mask when processing the arrays.

Fair enough!
As far as I know, Ruby uses "standard" floating point (so no negative
or "signed" NaN?), but I think we now need an answer from an expert.

Colin Bartlett