From: Krister Svanlund on
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I would like my program to continue on the next line after an uncaught
> exception,
> is that possible ?
>
> thanks
> Stef Mientki

Yes, you catch the exception and do nothing.
From: Lie Ryan on
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> I would like my program to continue on the next line after an uncaught
>> exception,
>> is that possible ?
>>
>> thanks
>> Stef Mientki

That reminds me of VB's "On Error Resume Next"
From: Daniel Fetchinson on
> I would like my program to continue on the next line after an uncaught
> exception,
> is that possible ?

try:
# here is your error
except:
pass

# this will get executed no matter what

See http://docs.python.org/tutorial/errors.html

HTH,
Daniel

From: Lie Ryan on
On 02/21/10 12:02, Stef Mientki wrote:
> On 21-02-2010 01:21, Lie Ryan wrote:

>> That reminds me of VB's "On Error Resume Next"
>>
> I think that's what I'm after ...

First, read this:
http://www.developerfusion.com/code/4325/on-error-resume-next-considered-harmful/

> I already redirected sys.excepthook to my own function,
> but now I need a way to get to continue the code on the next line.
> Is that possible ?

No, not in python. You can (ab)use generators' yield to resume
execution, but not in the general case:

def on_error_resume_next(func):
def _func(*args, **kwargs):
gen = func(*args, **kwargs)
resp = next(gen)
while isinstance(resp, Exception):
print 'an error happened, ignoring...'
resp = next(gen)
return resp
return _func

@on_error_resume_next
def add_ten_error_if_zero(args):
if args == 0:
# raise Exception()
yield Exception()
# return args + 10
yield args + 10

print add_ten_error_if_zero(0)
print add_ten_error_if_zero(10)

A slightly better approach is to retry calling the function again, but
as you can see, it's not appropriate for certain cases:

def retry_on_error(func):
def _func(*args, **kwargs):
while True:
try:
ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
except Exception:
print 'An error happened, retrying...'
else:
return ret
return _func

@retry_on_error
def add_ten_error_if_zero(args):
if args == 0:
raise Exception()
return args + 10

print add_ten_error_if_zero(0)
print add_ten_error_if_zero(10)

A much better approach is to use callbacks, the callbacks determines
whether to raise an exception or continue execution:

def handler(e):
if datetime.datetime.now() >= datetime.datetime(2012, 12, 21):
raise Exception('The world has ended')
# else: ignore, it's fine

def add_ten_error_if_zero(args, handler):
if args == 0:
handler(args)
return args + 10

print add_ten_error_if_zero(0, handler)
print add_ten_error_if_zero(10, handler)
print add_ten_error_if_zero(0, lambda e: None) # always succeeds

Ignoring arbitrary error is against the The Zen of Python "Errors should
never pass silently."; not that it is ever a good idea to ignore
arbitrary error, when an exception happens often the function is in an
indeterminate state, and continuing blindly could easily cause havocs.
From: ssteinerX on

On Feb 20, 2010, at 9:17 PM, Lie Ryan wrote:

>>> That reminds me of VB's "On Error Resume Next"
>>>
>> I think that's what I'm after ...
>
> First, read this:
> http://www.developerfusion.com/code/4325/on-error-resume-next-considered-harmful/

The link goes to an "Oh dear. Gremlins at work!" page.

They're probably using On Error Resume Next in their VBScript code and this is the "last resort" page ;-).