From: Dragan Milenkovic on
On 07/25/2010 04:26 PM, nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
> In article<i2dkhc$idh$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
> Dragan Milenkovic<dragan(a)plusplus.rs> wrote:
>> On 07/23/2010 01:59 AM, Thomas Richter wrote:
[snip]
>>> Sure, but maybe I need a different recovery strategy. And then I have
>>> little means of implementing one. That's what I'm saying.
>>
>> How about you check the answer Louis Lavery gave?
>>
>> Also, you may describe the concrete problem that bothers you and someone
>> will most likely provide the most clean and effective way to achieve it.
>>
>> Recovery is still possible in the current library, but you have
>> to do it yourself. Does that count as "reasonably possible"? And people
>> _do_ care about time and complexity, it's the standard library... should
>> we all write our own in order to optimize it? You just cannot ask for
>> something that would ruin the library.
>
> That misses the critical point. The library does not specify enough
> behaviour in most exceptional cases, which means that it is impossible
> to write portable or reliable recovery code. As I posted, it could
> do a lot better, WITHOUT comprimising efficiency, but the design,
> specification and implementation efforts are comparable with what
> has already been done.

Are you sure that it is impossible? Or is it just not trivial?

From what I understand on this topic is that the main reason for
all of this is that the Standard does not want to force a specific
implementation and representation. However, I don't have a strong
opinion whether this is good or bad, only that it is fairly
reasonable.

Of course, wording in the Standars is a horror... :-/

--
Dragan